Asked on Nov 10, 2019

How can I make over a floor level hearth?

Vicki LinzyMadelineRobyn Garner
+2

We have a floor level hearth made with tiles. Its time do something with it. We have pulled up carpet around it and will be refinishing the wood floors. What can we do to bring it up to date?

• Cynthia H

Some of the new tiles are gorgeous. Or you could paint and stencil.

With the trim around the hearth it doesn't look floor level. It may be a problem removing it since the fireplace front sits on top of it. Also looks like the mantle sides also sit on it and look like stone. Personally I would carefully remove the trim to save it. Then I would remove the tiles. The fireplace front is screwed on the sides so it won't be that much in the way. Install some nice marble or granite tiles. You can also use light colored floor tiles of you choose. Then reinstall the trim. I doubt paint would hold up even with a sealer.

• Robyn Garner

I agree with William. If you plan to use the fireplace you would need to use high heat paint if you leave that section as is.

• Madeline

Mine is the same design as yours, I removed the old brick red tile and replaced it with a tile I liked. The new tile isn't as thick as old tile so we had to fill the difference with a thicker base of mortar. I've been very pleased with how it turned out.

• Vicki Linzy

Buy some beautiful 4x4 tiles.They are quick and easy to a fix, and are fireresistant. Plus they are easy to keep clean and repair if they get broken..