Faux Vintage Christmas Ornaments

$12

I love vintage ornaments but let's be real, they are hard to find and pricey when you do so why not make your own?!!

I can't stop staring at them!!

Materials:

• Wal-Mart ornaments
  • Old spindles
  • Folk Art Home Decor Chalk Paint
  • Folk Art Metallic Paint
  • Twine
  • Hot glue
  • 20 gauge wire

Tools:

• Circular Saw
  • Drill
  • Paint brushes

I happened to have a box of old spindles lying around. But you could use old chairs legs or chair spindles. Don't be afraid to grab those chairs by the road!!

I picked those ornaments up at Wal-Mart last year on clearance for $5.00 but you could find cheap ornamnts even now. Try the dollar tree or any of the dollar stores.

Step 1: Paint your spindles

Paint your spindles. I used a matte chalk paint in white.

Step 2: Paint your ornaments

Next, paint your ornaments. I rigged up this little drying station so that I could paint all of the sides at once and let each dry completely.

Step 3: Cut spindles

I then cut my spindles down in different sizes using my circular saw.

Step 4: Drill holes in spindles

I used a drill to make holes for the ornaments to fit into. I checked the width of the ornament "stems" and matched them to a drill bit.

I drilled a much smaller hole at the top for the hook.

Step 5: Glue the ornaments to the spindles

I used hot glue to put the two pieces together. Don't worry about any glue that seeps out, because the twine will rescue is there.

Step 6: Cover gap with twine

I wrapped twine around the gap and distressed the wood a bit.

Step 7: Add some metallic paint

I then dabbed some metallic paint on the ornaments to give them some texture. Especially with the more shapely ornaments, this made all the difference.

Step 8: Add the wire hanger

I stuck a small piece of 20 gauge wire in the hole on top. Hot glued it in and looped it around.

I am loving these!!

I'd love a whole tree of these!!

Hope you enjoyed this diy!!

• Sarah

Im going to do this asap! Im going to try without the spindles though.I need to think of how to do the top of the ornament without the spindle. Any ideas?? Just paint and add a little raffia ribbon??

• Amanda Alexander

I'm wishing I hadn't thrown out my collection of wine corks for this idea, you can maybe find some at a reuse store.

• Nana

How heavy?

• Dianab

do the tops of the ornaments pop off like the glass ones or are they one piece and if so, how did you remove them?

• Jeannie brooks

Want to try this project. Have a bunch of spindles that I didn't know what to do with and this idea is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

• Erin

These are so beautiful! I have lots of spindles that I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do with them. Definitely trying this!