Rental Kitchen Makeover

$100

Renting has its perks.

However, bathrooms and kitchens are rarely ever included in that ‘perks package’ You either get a great kitchen or bathroom – or you dont. It’s just one of those things you learn to accept when you rent- especially if the rest of the house happens to be in good condition. . . and if your landlord isn’t half bad.

Whilst you can’t make any drastic changes to a rented kitchen (as most of it will have been built in before your arrival), you can customise it somewhat. And often you can do so, in a way that doesn’t cost you your security deposit at the end of your tenancy (music to any renters ears right?)

After living with my mediocre kitchen for over 3 years, a few weeks ago I finally decided it was time to put that thought process into practice. I mean, as far as kitchens go, mine wasn’t that bad. It was just so very basic . . and so very not me. And more than anything I craved a kitchen that felt like me.

I started out by removing the kitchen doors. I wanted to create an open plan look.

Next I gave the cabinets a freshen up with paint because they were a little stained. Here is my tutorial on the blog on how to paint laminate

Then I added removable wallpaper to the backing of the cabinets. to find out where I bought this wallpaper from.

Next I added in a rail to hang mugs!

Next I added in a rail to hang mugs .

I also changed the handles on my cabinets. I plant to replace the doors in the future but this was a temporary option for now that made the kitchen look so much better! See where I got my wallpaper from on the blog here

Here is the final space! What do you think? VISIT my blog at link below to get all the source details for everything!

• Handles  (amazon)
  • Glass jars  (amazon)

Medina at Grillo Designs

• Nancy

What kind of paint did you use?

• Susan Fairbanks

where are the holes that once held the doors in place? . . . or even room for the holes?

• Lauren LollyBean

Looking at the bottom cabinets it looks like they probably had the hinges that mount to the inside so they’re invisible.

• Sue

How did the owners/rental company feel about the transition of the kitchen?

• Sarge

It would be easy enough to remove the wallpaper and put the doors back on but that would be my question about the paint job on the cabinets...

• Susan

Yes. This does not devalue the property but actually adds to it's appeal and flexibility. I've never heard of property being "defamed" by reversible alterations

• Mamamia

I think it is inspiring. Even if some DIY is not my taste, I can still appreciate the beautifullness of your creativity.