Laurie
Laurie
  • Westland, MI
Asked on Nov 11, 2019

How do I clean wood stove glass?

Patricia BellRussbowCher @ Designs By Studio C
+3

Our woodstove door windows need to be cleaned daily. We use water and ash. What is a better, more effective, method?

• Tinyshoes

Laurie....I cover my hearth and floor with newspapers and spray Windex and let it drip on papers..sometimes I have to use a razor to remove around edges of glass...I also use newspapers to wipe the glass. After I get the worse of the soot off I use paper towels to finish up.

• Johnavallance82

Hi Laurie,

Maybe use a non abrasive cream or Vim? Or something that cleans wood sap from car bodies?

• Cher @ Designs By Studio C

Hi, Laurie!

I always used a damp paper towel on my wood burning stove and my pellet stove... but you’re right, it does have to be done daily! I hope this helps!

• Russbow

I have been using a glass front wood stove since 2005, and if you are having to clean daily, you are choking down the fire and not letting it burn "wide open". Don't put in so much wood that you can't run it wide open. Then, the door gasket is very likely leaking air too. Check it closely and replace if necessary. I take out the old, use a power wire brush to clean the recess completely to metal, the add the high temp agent in a tube that is the "glue", then the new gasket being very careful where the two ends meet to be sure it is air tight.

Daily cleaning is almost certain to be one or both of these issues. 11 years with my stove, I know.

• Patricia Bell

I also have great luck using Windex!

• Laurie

Windex and 409 did not budge the black for me. Maybe it depends on wood type, etc. Thanks.