Make a Gnome Ornament From Dollar Store Slippers

$3

Gnomes continues to be quite popular and trendy this holiday season! They are the absolute cutest and can be found just about everywhere in all kinds of materials, colors, shapes, and sizes! And they're also the perfect addition to almost any type of holiday decor! So I've jumped on the band wagon to create my own using plaid slippers from the Dollar Tree!

I hope the first thing you thought when you saw this wasn't, "Oh no she didn't! I can't believe she destroyed a perfectly good pair of slippers to make this gnome ornament!" Well, yes I did! But please remember they were just a dollar! Besides, I bought an extra pair to wear around the house! I couldn't resist! They are so cool and comfortable! Cool as a pair of slippers and cool as a gnome ornament, too! And the best part, you really don't need to spend anymore than a couple of dollars to make this adorable ornament! You better believe it! And I'm sure you have all the other items you'll need in your stash to put it together, too!

Let's start by taking the slippers apart. I used a craft knife to break the side seams and I'm sure a seam ripper would be much easier for this, but I couldn't find mine - too much clutter right now, lol! 

The best thing about opening up the seam is that the faux fur lining separates from the sole completely into one piece. And it's perfect to use for the beard!

Next, lay out the opened slippers and cut off just enough to make the hat! Save the rest for another awesome project!

Then, make a template of a gnome's hat out of cardstock - I purposely drew the hat to include the curvature of the slipper - it's a great spot for the nose! Next, place the pattern on top of the slipper fabric . . .

and cut out.

Place right sides (plaid) together and run a bead of glue along the inside edges, leaving the bottom open. Firmly press the edges together and let dry completely. 

Once dry, turn the hat inside out. Oh boy, doesn't this look awesome!

Next, fold the faux fur from the sole in half, coating with glue inside to seal the piece together and let dry.Insert faux fur at the fold into the bottom of hat, adjusting fit and gluing in place.

Then round off the shape of the beard with scissors.

Don't you just love how it's taking shape!

To make the nose - take a cotton ball from the medicine cabinet or a small amount of fiber-fil and shape into a ball, stuffing it in the toe area of the foot-ped, tying the ball tight with a cut-off strip from the ped.

Cut off the excess ped fabric and glue nose onto center curve, just below hat edge. Then make a hanger by taking three strands of twine in a group of three, and typing in a knot to braid.

Once braided, fold twine braid to make a loop, adding glue to ends and insert into center top of hat for hanger. Let dry.

What a fun and easy way to add a bit of whimsy to your holiday tree!

31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
Gail@Purple Hues and Me

• Janet Smith Ross
    Janet Smith Ross

always looking for an excuse to visit Dollar Tree (my favorite place to shop) but our local doesn't always carry the latest. Think I might have to visit Salvation Army if they don't. BTW Thanks for the nose idea. My Mom made a basket of potatoes using this idea many MANY years ago but I hadn't though of the idea until now,, Thanks and kudos

• Gail@Purple Hues and Me
      Gail@Purple Hues and Me

You are quite welcome, Janet! I was surprise to see the slippers available this year, too! But any type of scraps could be used to make this work!

• Holly Turcotte
    Holly Turcotte

If you have scrap material also maybe could use the dusters at dollar store. Might work just a thought