A Rustic Shelf You Can Afford to Make!

$20

Saw an add for something similar at $120, so I grabbed my miter saw and went to work

I have a nice assortment of wood scraps, many are weathered privacy fence. I grabbed a 1x4 I found behind my shed when I bought the house in 2016, and a scrap of 1x6 from another project. If you don't have a stash of weathered wood, you could easily do this with 'Barnwood' from Home Depot etc.

(FYI I earned this wood storage rack just for posting on Hometalk.com!)

I cut some random lengths and lined them up side by side. One of them split so I put the halves on each end ; ) I drew a line across all of them. My ink pen wasn't up to the task I guess, that's why I missed a few.

I stained the 1x6 and let it dry 20 min but forgot to take a pic - my apologies. I pre-drilled two holes ea (except one hole for the end pieces) and attached to the 1x6 scrap with No 6 x 1 1/4 drywall screws. This is looking at the back with the screws into the small edge of the 1x6. The next pic will make sense...

Here's the shelf ready for hardware. Not crazy about the redwood stain but I thought I'd give it a try. I like the figure in the pine anyway.

I attached two frame brackets. I actually did this twice!!! ... but pulled out the small nails/brads holding one of them in, so I went back with diff brackets and added a couple of spare screws to make sure they wouldn't pull out. I didn't get these 'centered' so there's an extra step or two below.

Mark the center of your shelf, and measure to each side for dimensions to place your wall hardware

I found the center of my wall space, and using the previous dimensions, marked both L and R for where I'd hang my shelf. I use a long phillips bit right into the drywall, no regular drill bit needed. (if you hit a stud, just put a screw there!)

I then used my cordless drill to run in a plastic drywall anchor

Install a screw into the drywall anchor, leaving just enough of the panhead for the hangers to grab onto

And here's the finished product. All in all, with my existing hardware and stain on-hand I beat the W*****r price by about $108  . The candles are the first bit of Holiday decor to go up. If you have questions just holler, if you have ideas to help others or try this yourself please comment below.

• Jimmie

$100? did you drink fine wine during the project?

• Jeanne Martin
      12 minutes ago

Maybe he means with the extra hundred dollars did you buy the fine wine and enjoy it during the build. 😁

• Tawny

Love this. My kind of project

• Jim Cox

TY. I always enjoy when something so simple can come together so quickly, and you can really appreciate the results.

• Shirley

I missed the step on how to attach the shelf to the backing. Could you explain that please?

• Jim Cox

3rd pic: Run the screws thru the back into the shelf. Follow the line scribed earlier to keep things lined up