A Simple Holiday Accent For Your Simple Planter

$16

Have you started decorating for Christmas? I have a simple idea to give what you may already have a holiday vibe. This idea came to me when I started trying to decide which decor I wanted to keep on my bookshelves and which I wanted to tuck away for now.

I recently found these great simple white planters with faux plants for only $4.99 at Target. I wanted to use them with my existing Christmas decorations. They just needed a little something more festive. This is what I came up with.

The only things you need are:

• planter(s)
  • wired ribbon
  • buttons (I used wooden ones for this project.)
  • hot glue gun
  • glue stick
  • scissors
  • twine
  • (measuring tool if you are making multiple sleeves)

Wrap ribbon around your planter to determine how long it should be. Overlap the ribbon to give you enough to be able to fold it for a neat exposed end.

Then cut it to the desired length. I needed about 15 inches to fit around my planters.

Fold your ribbon on one end about an inch and hot glue it closed. Pull the ribbon tight around the planter and hot glue the ribbon to itself. I did not glue it to the planter so I can slip them on and off.

Next, I used twine to thread through the holes of a large wooden button. (You could also use a large colored button if you prefer.) I was able to thread them easily because the button holes were large enough. If you have trouble with the twine fraying, you can put regular craft glue on the end, twist it, and let it dry. This makes the end harden and act as a needle. Tie a knot on the back side of the button.

Glue the button into place.

That's all there is to it! I love this because it's an easy way to give the planters a little touch of Christmas and since I can slip them on and off I can use this idea for other holidays.

• ShelbyNeen

It's perfect the way it is. Delicate and simple elegance.

If you add more it would take away from the understated charm.

This is a great one to remember.

• Lynne

so cute! i never thought of this, and i am going to do this for my may plants. thanks