Asked on Nov 13, 2019

How do I do a DIY fix of this horrible floor?

WilliamHolly Lengner - Lost MomDee
+6

Trying to clean it and cleaned the finish right off. Help!!

• Dorothy

Rent a floor sander and sand it then stain it and seal it with polyurethane.

• Abby and Matt

agreed with Dorothy. Thats what we did to ours. We have the exact same pattern. Just be careful if they aren't in great condition, some may come up and you will need to nail them back down.

• Judi1

It looks like wax build up. I always used a strong ammonia to water mix and rinsed often. Be aware it will have a strong odor.

• Chris

If renting a sander is more then you can handle/afford right now, I agree with Judi1. Strip the floor of any waxes/varnishes, then on any dark spots that remain, try hydrogen peroxide. It works great on almost anything to lighten and remove stains. Even most carpets. Then you can reseal with polyurethane or a Rejuvinate type product.

• Marcie

I agree. We have 100 year old floors in our home. Sanding was going to be too hard on some areas so we used ammonia them rinsed several times to get the remaining chemical off. After it was completely dry, we lightly sanded with a fine grit paper to rove any thing that was left. You may have to repeat process in very bad areas. Good luck!

• Jessica VanderVeen

You could rent a sander and then restain. That would look the best

• Dee

It is not an easy job sanding down a floor. If you have the resources hire someone to do it. Other than that use a cleaner degreaser like KrudKutter and clean really well. If it gets off all the gunk, you can re-stain.

I agree with everyone. Sanding and sealing. Sanding, staining, and sealing. Or painting.