Asked on Nov 14, 2019

How can I repair a table on which I poured too much epoxy?

Unique Creations By AnitaBetsySharon
+1

I poured epoxy to a table top and some areas are white over poured, how do I fix it?

• Dee

Using Heat to Remove Epoxy

1. Put on gloves, goggles, and a respirator with gas and vapor cartridges. ...

2. Helpful? ...

3. Soak the surface in acetone for at least 1 hour. ...

4. Aim a heat gun at the epoxy for several minutes. ...

5. Heat small areas at a time. ...

6. Scrape off the heated epoxy with a plastic scraper. OR

If the epoxy is still stubborn, a stronger solvent such as denatured alcohol (a solvent commonly used to fuel camping stoves) or paint thinner can also be applied to the area with a cloth to weaken the bond, and a scraper tool can be used to gently pry the epoxy from the surface.

• Sharon

Hello Ivette: Here is some information I found on this subject:

How to Remove Epoxy from Wood or Concrete

Floor finishing with epoxy is a popular use of the product, but sometimes the resin can get in places it’s not supposed to go. Avoid alcohol and paint thinners, which can damage or discolor wood finishes. Instead, enlist acetone for help removing epoxy on wood or concrete, as it can soak into the porous surface to surround and loosen the epoxy, making it easy to peel away. Leftover acetone, meanwhile, evaporates by air.

Alternatively, heat can also be used to melt tough epoxy residues on wood, making it easy to scrape off. (Although, if you previously used any acetone on the wood, make sure it is fully evaporated before using this method—remember, acetone is highly flammable.) Pull on leather work gloves to protect your hands and hold a heat gun, set to about 200 degrees Fahrenheit, several inches above the affected area. Move the nozzle in small circles to heat the epoxy without burning the wood. Follow with a scraper while the epoxy drippings are still soft.

Good luck

• Unique Creations By Anita

You have to let it dry and them sand it off.