How to Paint a Shiplap Wall Using the Wagner Flexio 5000

$300

(This post was sponsored by Wagner. All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own.)

You know those home projects that you imagine you'll complete a few weeks after you move in.. Then months pass by and they are still left unfinished? Painting interior walls always gets added to that list for me.

I'd had plans to put up a faux shiplap wall and paint it ever since I saw the project on Pinterest. I won't put it off again though, because I've discovered a way to paint an interior wall that's faster and easier than any other method I've tried! This project will walk you through painting an interior wall using the Wagner Flexio 5000 Paint Sprayer.

If you enjoy this project, be sure to check out my blog for more diy projects!

Supplies

Instructions

Here's the wall before painting. I'd put up sheets of plywood that had been cut into strips.

When I read tutorials for the faux shiplap wall, it recommended painting the wall white before putting up boards. This meant doing the same job twice!

One of the biggest advantages to using the Flexio 5000 paint sprayer when painting a planked wall is you don't have to paint the wall beforehand.

See the grey paint in the gaps? The spray gun reaches it, so there is less work for you! 

Preparation

Prepping to spray an interior wall is the first step. I thought this was going to be time consuming, but it was actually a breeze.

Start by laying down something heavy on the floors like a drop cloth or sheet. Then use masking film to tape off surrounding walls, trim or anything else you don't want to get paint on.

The Flexio 5000 comes with two different spraying set ups. I used the iSpray nozzle that is meant for larger projects like walls.

I poured unthinned latex paint into the canister - using the Wagner cup liners.

Painting with the Wagner Paint Sprayer

To get the settings right, be sure to read the instructions. The manual includes all the details about which settings to use based on your project!

Spray in a long steady motion - moving with the sprayer instead of flicking your wrist.

Keep the paint sprayer about 6-8 inches away from the wall. Start moving the sprayer before pulling the trigger, and then continue the motion after you've released it.

The sprayer was very forgiving. If I missed an area, I just went and sprayed over it. I loved not having to worry about brush strokes or roller marks.

If you stop painting for a few minutes, paint may accumulate on the nozzle. So just wipe clean with a paper towel before you start spraying again.

Clean up

Clean up was easy as pie. I threw away the cup liner, and then rinsed the remaining parts with warm water. I made sure to get off any dried paint with the mini scrub brush.

Painting interior walls can be a hassle. I'm really glad I chose to use the Flexio 5000. It saved me time and gave a brush stroke free finish!

Make sure to check out Wagner Spray Tech for information about their products and for more painting tips. 

I'll see you next project,

Leah

Thrifted Nest

• Lulis Del Castillo-Gonzalez

How much “mist” does this produce? Would every nonpaintable surface need to be covered even if not that close to the wall?

• Thrifted Nest

I used masking film on every surface within about 7 feet from where I was spraying.

• Heje

Did it take only one time with the sprayer?

• Susie

Love the wall and LOVE the flooring! Can you tell me if the flooring is wood or vinyl or laminate...and where did you buy it? Looking for my daughter! Thank you!!