Create The Perfect Farmhouse Table With A Painted Wood-Grain Effect

$150

If you have a table that is bare or needs a makeover, try this painted faux wood-grain effect. It's a simple project, but the outcome is breathtaking. Here are the simple steps on how to complete this project.

This is the simple table that I started with. Your's doesn't have to begin with the bare wood. You can paint overtop of an already painted surface.

If you'd like to see how we built this table, hop over to this post.

Step One: Sand down the table. This removes and smooths any imperfections and if you're beginning this project with an already painted surface, it allows you to even out the area you will be painting.

Step Two: Because I was beginning this project with a bare table, I needed to fill in holes where the wood had been nailed together. I did so with some wood putty and spackling.

After allowing the putty to dry completely I spray painted the table white with a paint and primer combo. I did this on each surface of the table, legs, sides and underneath to ensure a finished look.

If you haven't tried using a comfort spray paint grip attachment, I highly recommend it. It makes the job so much easier and your fingers will thank you.

Next, to ensure I had a completely smooth surface to paint the effect onto, I gave the table a quick sanding. This ensures there are no paint globs or drippings that will distract from the finished project.

Now it's time to begin the faux wood grain effect. I choose a gray fusion mineral paint. I watered the paint down (about half paint half water) in order to thin out the paint and ensure you would be able to see the white peek through the completed project.

Start by painting one board or area of the table at a time. You will want the paint to still be wet in order to get the best results out of this technique.

Once you've applied the paint drag your wood graining tool through the area you've just painted. You can rock the tool and pull it to achieve the look you want.

Once you're finished with the wood graining tool you can take a miniture twig broom through the paint to get an even smaller grain look to your finish.

You'll repeat this process until the area you desire to achieve the faux wood grain look is completed. I only did this on the top of my table and top rim leaving the legs and sides white.

I gave my table a coat of furniture wax once it had finished drying because the table is going to be outdoors on my patio.

If you'd like more details on waxing a surface, check out this chalk paint post.

Here's the finished project. I love the farmhouse rustic look of this table!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Linda

• Judi1

Turned out very nice. Have you seen the Retique it paint that is actually wood? It is not as labor intensive as your project and can be used on many surfaces.

• Marilyn

I love how this turned out. Do you have to keep resealing the table with the furniture wax periodically? I want to try this. But the area that my table would sit is in full sun, and I live in a hot humid area. Is furniture wax the best sealer or would you recommend something else?

• Heje

This is so clean and fresh looking. I was wondering also about the finish with just the wax. How is the table holding up to the weather?

• Lisa West

Very pretty.

• Monica

You did an amazing job and I love the project! But it’s already wood (grain) so you didn’t have far to achieve that goal. I’d like to take and make something that didn’t have that “head start”, if you know what I mean. Thanks