Sam P
Sam P
  • Lake Mary, FL

boxwood leaves turn yellow and then end up with all dry leaves

Gms12627986Sherry HubbardFarmwoman
+9

Hi, I have about 20+ boxwood, I have noticed that on three of the boxwood it start with small area turn yellow and in couple weeks all leaves dry out. see attached pictures. I went to home depot they don't know any thing. I am in orlando, FL. any help will be highly appreciated!
q boxwood leaves turn yellow and then end up with all dry leaves, gardening
  • Sherrie S

Sam P, what I have found is one plant is not getting enough water. The boxwoods are very easy to grow and don't have insect problems. We have had so many days without rain that it can affect healthy plants that never had a problem.because the sprinkler isn't hitting one area.

• Sherrie S

Let me add one more thing, having mulch so close to the plant can harm it.

• Daniela N

we had that happen with our dwarf alberta spruce...the last one standing is half green, and dead...been like that for almost 2 years...

As Sherrie notes, boxwoods are very susceptible to drought stress. I don't think another issue would result in such a quick decline of your plants.

• Pamela F

I had 17 boxwoods on the property line between my neighbor and I. All of them basically turned yellow to brown and died because they weren't getting enough water...they are on the left side in the photo.

• Walter Reeves

Boxwoods live for decades if their roots are happy. Over- and under-watering are the most common killers.

• Madeline O

Call your County Extension Agent, they are always happy to help and are familiar with problems in your specific area.

• Sam P

thank you all for the great comments!

• Carol S

What I have gotten from your comments will help with the problem my daughter is having with her neglected boxwood, which had ths same problem. I noticed that the drain from the gutter had been kicked away - causing the rain water to flow away from the plant. The comment reguarding the mulch, could also be a factor here because the dead leaves on the ground maybe sufficating the roots and stopping rain water from sinking into the ground & to the roots. Thank you.

• Farmwoman

Also if dogs pee on the plants that can turn the leaves and kill the plant. To much urea.

• Sherry Hubbard

I live in Louisville ky. My boxwoods did the same thing. My lawn co that sprayes my yard said it was from the winter WE had last year. They sit right under my gutters and that is where the ice fell out last winter.

• Gms12627986

They do not like full sun.