Space Lamp Makeover

$20

When we gave my son's room a makeover I knew I wanted to add a fun lamp that he loved. Looking around, I didn't see any I loved or that were just too expensive. So I made my own!

I found this standard lamp base at my local ReStore for $4! It was the perfect shape that I wanted ,but it didn't have a shade.

So using a DIY lamp shade kit, I put together a shade for the lamp and covered it with a cool space fabric.

While the fabric and shade glue were drying I got to work on the base.

I spray painted the base with a textured dark gray paint. This gave it a rough, grainy look and feel.

I then went over the spray paint with black and light gray acrylic paint. I just dipped a sponge and stamped it on. I wanted it to look like the moon's surface.

I found a rocket ship patch and hot glued it to the base.

I love the way it turned out and so did my son! He kept thanking me for making it for him and that make it all worth it!

Tara Boettger

• Ginger

Where did you find the DIY Lampshade kit? By the way that is an adorable lamp. Great job!

• Jo Ellen

I rarely leave comments, but this is amazing! I did not know that they had a DIY lamp kit. I desperately need a shade cover, and I’m so gonna look for one now.
    Everyone is talking about a bedroom, but as a teacher this would be adorable in the classroom !
    Well done

Perfect for a boys room. One of a kind. Great share and great job.