DIY Embroidery Hoop Christmas Wreath

$15

One thing I struggle with when decorating for Christmas is that I always seem to have gaps that need filled. In an attempt to fix this, last year I decided to start MAKING some Christmas decor and loved it. Check out my DIY Cone Christmas Trees and my Ribbon Christmas Tree Ornaments. This year I wanted to make more DIY Christmas decorations and decided to start with a Christmas embroidery hoop wreath.

Here is what you’ll need to make an embroidery hoop Christmas wreath:

• 12″ embroidery hoop
  • Christmas greenery
  • ribbon (I used 1.5″)
  • floral wire
  • ornaments (1 regular sized, 2 small)
  • hot glue gun
  • scissors
  • stencils
  • acrylic pain

Before attaching the greenery, you need to decide if you want to see the embroidery hoop’s hardware (that little screw thing on the side). It’s a personal preference, I’ve seen embroidery hoop wreathes both ways, but I didn’t want mine to show so I hid it with my greenery.

I wired two of the same greenery stems opposite of each other. The way I plan to display this, all the greenery will be in the lower left side of the loop. If the hoop was a clock, I’d be decorating numbers 5-9.

Next I took my ribbon and left a 4″ tail. I made a loop, pinched it and hot glued it closed. Once cooled, I did the same thing with another loop–pinched it and hot glued the bottom closed.

Working left to right, I hot glued the ribbon to the hoop. I spread a little more ribbon out, hot glued it in place and once cooled, I hot glued a regular sized ornament on it. Then I made a smaller loop to the right of it and used hot glue to secure it. This is when I decided to hot glue a smaller red ornament to the right of the regular sized one. It sat a bit on the small loop, but it turned out fine. **If you are going to place two ornaments in that spot, you may want to make the small loop AFTER the smaller ornament.

To give my hoop wreath a bit more texture, I found greenery with a pinecone which I added on next.

I created another small loop and extended the ribbon a couple inches and hot glued a small ornament on top of it.

I made two more loops (the size of my very first ones), leaving a 4″ tail and attached them on. In the pic above there’s only ONE small ornament, it looks like two because of the red bell in the greenery.

Next, I cut the ribbon ends at a diagonal and puffed out the loops. I really like the simplicity of how it looked, but decided to add a ribbon that said “Merry Christmas”.

I used my Cricut to make a stencil, but if you don’t have a machine, you can handwrite it with a paint marker, use font stickers (hard to grasp to burlap though) or store bought stencils.

I cut 16″ of a 1-3/4″ burlap ribbon and centered the stencil on my ribbon. To prevent bleeding of the paint, I used Mod Podge to seal the edges of the cut out letters. Once dry, I apply two coats of acrylic paint letting it dry completely in between coats.

I slightly lifted the outer hoop up and slid the burlap ribbon in between the hoops on both sides. Then I slid them back together and cut off any overhang.

Here's how it turned out. The possibilities of different looks are endless.

Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
Pamela - DIY vibes

1 comment