DIY Faux French Door

$50

When remodeling my bedroom, I decided a simple makeover was exactly what the closet door needed. A little primer, paint, and trim was all it needed to get a totally different look! I love how it turned out, and can't wait to show you exactly what I did!

Here's how my closet door started. This side of the room really needed some color, so I was exited to give it a different look!

I started by removing the door, and priming it with Zinsser Primer.

Then I painted the the frame of the door blue and the inside portion the same cream color of the walls of the room.

I glued trim to the center of the door, placing books on top of the trim to keep everything in place while the glue dried.

Once the glue was dry, I caulked any gaps between the trim and the doorframe, then touched up the paint.

Then the door was done! I love how it turned out, and I really love the splash of color it adds to this side of the room! For more information and photos, check out the full blog!

Lindsay Fay

• Evelyn

I have an idea:

My door doesn't have a trim like this one does, but that doesn't mean I can't make one.

I would make a trim for the door and paint the inside of the trim white. After the paint dries, I would paint a picture on the white painted part (Maybe an outdoor scene). After that paint dries I would cover the painting with kind of semi-obscure clear plastic to give it a mystical touch. I would then glue the strips across the door to give the effect of a divided window - looking as though one was looking at a scene through a slightly milky glass. What do you think about that?

• Carla

Where did you get the trim

• Jacqueline

Did you have to cut the trim pieces? What did you use to cut them at an angle?

• Keith

I love the look. Made a big difference

• Evelyn

That door idea is seemingly endless - all you need is your imagination - and of course the proper items to match your ideas... Works for me.