Asked on Nov 16, 2019

How can I create a custom office mat using old lanyard badges?

LbdvorakCynthia HPamela
+2

My husband has boxes of really cool name badges from events he has worked over the years. I want to turn them into office chair mats for my boys. I was going to glue them on a Lucite mat but i need to know what to cover them with. I think resin is too hard. Im worried glue will melt the plastic.

• Judy

Hi. What a great idea. I would weave them and cover with either upholstery plastic which will stick to legs but keep it clean or spray a water proof Spray Like for water proofing. This will help keep them clean and dry.

• Linda Sikut

Hi Lbdvorak,

I love your idea! I'm curious why you think that resin is too hard? A hard surface should keep the office chairs rolling properly and still protect the lanyards. I haven't used resin for a project like this however, could you build an edge with rope to hold the resin? Wishing you the best!

• Pamela

Hi ! What about paying them on their desktop instead , then laying clear plexiglass over them ?

• Cynthia H

My desk has a glass panel that was cut to cover pictures, etc. It's easy to rearrange, but keeps things on display without damaging them.

• Lbdvorak

Thank you but I don’t want them on a desk. I’m looking for a way to make a mat for a desk chair.