Tomato Cage Christmas Gnomes!

$2

I love Gnomes and this was so easy to do!

All you need for each gnome is a tomato cage, branches from a Christmas tree, a pair of toddler mittens, a pair of small leggings or sweater for the hat, a potato for the nose, a coat hanger to make the end of the hat droopy, some wire to attach the nose and mittens, about 12 zip ties to attach the branches, a piece of string or ribbon to tie the end of the hat shut and metal stakes or bricks so it won't topple in the wind. You'll want to gather your pruning shears and a wire cutter.

The hardest part was figuring out where to get tomato cages in the winter. If you have some in the garage you're a step ahead of the game. I did find them at my local Menards in the snowy garden center for 95 cents.

Turn the tomato cage upside down with the prongs up.

I had trees in my yard so it was easy enough to cut some short lengths of them. But you can also cut the lower branches from your Christmas tree or pick some up at a local tree farm.

Attach the branches to the tomato cage with stick end up and the greenery down using zip ties.

Slip the waistband of the leggings over the top with one leg tucked and hidden in itself in back. The other leg will be the long part of the hat. (You can use a sweater if that's what you have but it will need to be pinned in back since it's bulkier.)

Bend a wire coat hanger and slide it into the leg then hook it into the top of the gathered branches. You can then make your hat droopy or upright by bending the hanger that is inside the leg. I tied the end shut with a bit of string.

We found the small red mittens at the Dollar Tree, I love cheap!

Thread a bit of wire through the back of each mitten then pull the mitten onto some branches to slightly puff it up and twist the wire on a branch to hold it in place.

Poke some wire through the potato then attach it to the tomato cage frame. Pull the hat down so the gnome nose peeks out a little bit under the hat.

Kinda gnarly looking I think lol.

Here it is and I think it's going to look fantastic outdoors!

If you live in an area that gets strong winter winds use some ground stakes or bricks to hold down the tomato cage.

• I WILL but I live in FL don't understand how to buy artificial for this craft please help!

• Wayne Blankenship

I was gonna say the same! Go to a thrift shop and find one and it doesn’t matter if it’s real or fake- I’m sure the ending will be just as cool looking

• Jackie

Can you use a 48” tomato cage? Smaller ones are hard to come by this time of year in PA.

• Linda Harn

This is cute. Could you start at the top and put Christmas greens going up?

• Susie

I agree with Cher B, Linda. The greenery lays like long hair and a beard. It needs to point down for that reason. Look at the finished gnome again and I think you will see that. He is ADORABLE, is he not!?!?