Faux Marble Countertop Using Epoxy Resin

$50

I received epoxy resin as a gift about a year ago and finally got around to using it on my bathroom countertop. I was planning to replace my sink and faucet anyway, so thought this would be a good time to tackle the countertop too.

Supplies

After removing the sink and faucet I gave the countertop a good cleaning with TSP degreaser and taped off the edges with painter’s tape. 

I taped plastic to the underside of the sink opening with duct tape. This fell off 3 times before I even started working on it! So I used push pins to keep it in place. Those held up nicely!

I then painted the countertop (and vanity) with white primer – 2 coats. 

Once it was dry I taped plastic to the cabinet and floors. I used masking tape and it held up fine.

Primed and ready

Prior to starting, I made sure the house temperature was up to 80 degrees and I sat both containers of epoxy in a bowl of warm water for a few minutes, as per the ProMarine instructions.  

Then I mixed ¾ of the epoxy resin (half and half mixture). Once mixed I separated a small amount into a plastic cup to add black for the marble veins.

I mixed a small amount of white unicorn spit into the remaining resin and poured it onto the countertop and smoothed it out with a small foam roller. I used a brush to apply it to the backsplash.

Once it looked fully covered, I used the edge of a stir stick to create black veins in the white, trying to make it look like marble.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

I then feathered out the black lines using a sea sponge and a heat gun. I also went over it quickly with a torch to pop bubbles occasionally.

I happened to glance down and saw that the black tinted epoxy had erupted over the cup and was smoking!!! Fortunately I had an empty container nearby, so I placed the smoking cup in the container and brought it outside. It cooled off quickly and quit smoking!

The next time I use epoxy, I won’t mix my accent colour with it. I’ll just use the paint as it is. It would have settled into the epoxy anyway.

Accent colour eruption

The countertop now had a beautiful glossy finish!  

So glossy!

But I wasn’t loving how the veins looked on the backsplash. And close up the backsplash had little run lines that wouldn’t smooth out. And I felt like maybe I used too much black over all. So I had the idea that I would mix the remaining epoxy with white and pour it on, to hopefully fill in the runs and tone down the veins. 

So after waiting 4 hours (as per the directions) I added white dollar store paint (I didn’t have any more unicorn spit) to the epoxy and poured it directly onto the backsplash and let it run down. Then used a sponge roller to smooth it out over the surface. 

Unfortunately, I used too much white paint and it made everything look a little milky. I scraped as much off as possible with a plastic trowel, but it still took away a LOT of the glossy finish that had been there. 

The next time I use epoxy on a countertop (I plan to do my daughters as well) I will not use epoxy on the backsplash. I’ll just paint it the same base colour and seal it with a glossy polyurethane.

I also won’t stop working on it until I’m happy with the outcome. No second pour! You really have a lot of time to work with it. Even though I still really like the way it turned out in the end, I am a little disappointed I ruined the high gloss.

Toned down

The next day I removed the painter’s tape. I should not have waited that long! Some of it was dried on under the epoxy. I used an exacto knife to get off as much as I could.

After it was fully cured (3 days) I just added a bead of caulking to hide the remnants of green tape.

I gave the epoxy a light sanding and installed my new sink and faucet.

Before
After

Even though I will do a few things differently next time, I really do like the outcome. The countertop actually feels like real marble! I’m glad I finally got around to doing it. It really brightened up my ensuite! And I’m looking forward to trying this again.

• Ruthann Nissly Martinez

What if you marlelized the counter first with paint then poured clear resin over top?

• Valerie Burge

I think that would work great. I liked being able to blow the lines out with the heat gun and give them a spread out look. But if you can paint it freehand to look the way you like that's perfect! Some people have suggested using a feather for the veins.

• Toodeebs

That is how the Giani marble kit works. First white paint, then grey and black paint to create the marble veins softened with a sea sponge or brush and finally acrylic clear to create the gloss.

• Carol meere

My kitchen countertop is faded but the underlying color seems to be intact. How would the clear epoxy without color work to bring out the existing color?

• Valerie Burge

Hi Carol, I haven't tried that. But I imagine the colours will remain the same, but the epoxy will add a nice glossy finish over it. And also make it feel really smooth!

• Trish

Do you think this technique would work over small tiles on a counter? Thanks!

• Peggy Riggles

Check out stone coat epoxy countertops on you tube. So much info and so many stone like recipes! I've done several kitchens following their directions and all have turned out amazing!

• Valerie Burge

I agree with Peggy. I think it would work great! Good luck, Trish. :)

• Trish

Thank you!!

• Matu

Nice, very clever 😊

• Suzanne L

I really loved your idea! The fact that you shared the little things that you struggled with makes the directions 100 times better! Why reinvent the wheel.lol I learned as much from the experience you shared as from the project itself! Have you ever gotten a recipe that the cook gave you with one ingredient missing soit would not come out right? Why just not tell the person you would rather not share the recipe?

I have painted marble onto surfaces in the past and spray sealed it for areas without the moisture of a bathroom. The only think I did differently other than the materials used was mix several shades of grey as well to reduce the Background contrast a little then left the black as completely black.I have not used epoxy but with your helpful instructions I may try my kitchen counter! That is if I can get my retired husband who just learned to cook after 45 years of marriage out of MY kitchen lol!

Thanks again for the fabulous instructions and tips I look forward to seeing your daughters bath!

• Valerie Burge

Thank you so much for your feedback Suzanne! Sometimes I wonder if my posts are too long and detailed. But I agree - if someone wants to try this, why reinvent the wheel!?! DIY projects require time and effort - so it's always best to have as much knowledge as possible prior to diving into them, in my opinion. I hope you can get hubby out of your kitchen long enough to give your counters a make-over. :) I'd love to see it if you do!!

• Nancy

The black veins need work. They are too wide, and too few. I'd like to see a few more thinner ones. Good job overall!

• Shug

I totally agree! It looks great with the "imperfections". 😊

• Katie

I love it. Nice job

• Jane Fisher McRoberts

I’ve wanted to put epoxy on my kitchen countertops to bring the shine back. They’re Corian countertops.

I was discouraged due to it not being good for food preparation. Has anyone ever done this to kitchen counters?

• Valerie Burge

I think there are epoxy kits specifically for kitchen counters.

• Laurie 'Wichert' Wezensky

Yes. I’ve done several kitchens and baths with stone coat countertops. It’s made specifically for kitchens so it’s very durable, microbial, and won’t yellow. You can find cheaper materials, but you get what you pay for and I’ve always been thrilled with their products.

• Day Hill

Wish you’d included a video showing how you applied the epoxy. How did you get an even pour with the rounded countertop edges?

• Jane Fisher McRoberts

I didn’t do it. I was asking if anyone Did do it before

• Antwannette

There is a brand of epoxy that is specific for kitchen, or products that will be consumed by foood or drink. There is a brand out of Hobby Lobby in a blue box. You can also find this example on YouTube

• Tammie

This looks REALLY good-----may try this in our master bath, kids' bath, and kitchen counters-----great job! I also really appreciate your realism, and sharing your "what I would do differently"'s as you are going through the process.

• Mary Jane

Why can't I see the whole video