Christmas Bells From Dollar Store Plastic Bells

$4

I think these bells pass for "metal looking". I wanted an aged silver look and I'm happy with How they turned out!

I decided to use them in a swag on my door as opposed to a wreath but honestly you could use these bells in garland, wreaths, swags, etc.....

*Keep in mind that I did not have room to write out Christmas, so I wrote X-mas instead.*

This is what they originally looked like. They are larger than they appear. I'd say they are a bit bigger than a red solo cup. How about that gaudy gold?!! 😖

I spray painted them black first.

I then gave them a coat of matte silver paint.

After the silver dried, I took a dry paint brush and randomly stippled a light grey on them.

I dry brushed a little bit of black in a few spots.

I wanted more of an aged effect so I took a crumbled up paper towel and dabbed it in the light gray again and pressed it all round.

I threw together a door swag with left over faux greenery and ribbon. I also made the little sign out of scrap wood. I then attached my bells with floral wire. I'm loving this look on my front door!!

• Mshea70

Why must they be painted black first?

• Lyn

My question too!! But nevertheless they turned out great looking!!

• Linda

I have the same question

• R Walter

the bells were gold to begin and she wanted an aged silver look. If the top coat of silver starts to wear off she didn't want gold showing so IMO she used the black paint if that happened.

• Mary

the black is acting as a base coat. It will allow the other colors to be more true when painted on. Also it does not allow the original base color of the bell to bleed through. Hope this helps

• Daisy@TX

Agree with R Walter and Mary

• Heje

I was wondering what they would look like if the paint was lightly sanded.

• Laura | mobilehome_cottage

That's exactly why.... The black acts as a base coat.

• Honor

I am wondering why you used the grey. I do nor see any grey on the finished bells

• Harriet Converse

When is MSU next basketball game

• Kimberly

I love this!!!!

• Kaycee

I love how this turned out, but I'm not clear why you painted it black at first? It doesn't appear to have shown through at any point, and when you wanted a bit of black, you dabbed black paint on later. I really am inspired by this cute transformation of the cheap gold plastic!

• Bridget

Think of it as appling primer to a wall before painting it. It covers the unwanted color and allows the true color to be seen. Imagine applying white nail polish over red, you'd just get a weird pink.

• Toni Terry

Black is a primer for gray. Gray is a primer for red.

• Laura | mobilehome_cottage

The black acts as a base coat.

• Kathi

You did an awesome upgrade on these bells! They look just like metal. I LOVE them!! GREAT JOB!!!!

• Moraima

Is there a dyi to get rid of roaches?

• Darlene

baking soda and sugar, sugar attracts the soda expands and kills them. Natural way that is not toxic to you or pets. Mix half and half, sprinkle into areas where they trail and cracks they can get behind ie, cabinets that are not sealed.

• Barbara Lux-Smith

Boric acid, easily obtainable at a hardware store, sprinkled along baseboards in cabinets and drawers, etc. If you have pets, you may want to check with your vet to make sure it's safe for them. Also, roaches hate onions. If you can cope with the odor, leaving plates of sliced onion may repel them. Finally, one or more, of those electronic static wave appliances may get them on the run.

• Awesome

If all possible maintain a pest removal service. They do installment payments. My renter left and I did a major remodel and the pest control service had things under control in 6 mons

• Debra S Prins

How did you create the swag?