From Trash to Toy Box

$10

A neighbor was getting rid of things in his garage. I found, what I thought was a wooden box. It turned out to be a large drawer from an old oak desk! It had a thin board that you could insert into the middle area and make 2 compartments if you wanted. My immediate thought was that it would make a great toy box.

The first thing I did was vacuum it out and sand it down.

Then I used a great stain called Weathered Gray.

This is the stain I used. It’s so easy to apply and it seals at the same time. It’s a one and done step and I love this about it! It dries super fast too.

After the stain had dried, I took a 1/2 inch drill and drilled 2 holes on each end to insert a rope through for handles.

This is the 1/2 inch rope I used for the handles.

Holes ready for the rope.

I made a stencil with my Cricut with the word TOYS to be stenciled on one side only. I left the other side blank in case someone wanted to use it for something else other that toys. I also added 4 wheels to the bottom so it could be moved easily.

Before adding the divider I took some heavier material to add to the bottom. The bottom was kinda “wonky” and by adding the material it just made it look better.

And here you have it. It turned out just like I had envisioned it! Now to fill it with toys!

• LNIX

How soon before the toys were emptied, and it became a race car, train, or super rocket? That's what we did with the wheeled toy boxes my dad built for us 60 years ago. What fun that was!

• Robyn Garner

Great upcycle!

Great save. Looks like it may have been a file drawer. Makes a great toy box. So many options too.