How to: Paint a Wall With a Paint Sprayer

$275

As an avid DIY’er, you’ve likely considered adding a paint sprayer to your arsenal. They are fabulous tools: painting a wall or a piece of furniture is a snap, they’re speedy, and they ensure a nice, even coating of paint or stain, especially if you have miles of material to cover.

Before: the living room wall.

As my folks have always been color-adverse, it was time to get some color in their lives. Let’s take a field trip to use the Wagner Flexio 5000 paint sprayer.

Using a paint sprayer still requires prep and many of the same tools as painting a wall with a roller. Here are the tools we gathered:

• Edging paint brush
  • Painters tape
  • Drop cloths
  • Rags
  • Extension cord
  • Goggles
  • Dust masks

Hot tip: protecting outlets and switches with plastic wrap and tape makes for speedier painting.

To begin, we removed outlet and switch plates, covering the electrical parts with plastic and painters tape. Doing this allowed us to spray right over them.

Hot tip: masking off areas not receiving paint 24” wide avoids overspray.

With a brush, I then edged as one would do normally. Though, if you mask off surrounding areas, tape a plastic drop cloth to the top of the baseboard and protect the ceiling, one can avoid this time-draining task all together.

The sprayer assembled, plugged in, and ready

The Wagner Flexio 5000 is straightforward to use, even for beginners as we both were. Luckily, Wagner has designed a tool that was simple to assemble and operate.

Using a plastic sprayer cup liner bag sure makes clean up later even more effortless.

It’s important to test the paint sprayer to get a feel for things, how it sprays, the spray area, and to get the technique down. Plus there are narrow and wide spray patterns so test those out as well. Wagner includes a handy test paper with clear instructions providing the perfect lesson.

Getting a feel for it “for real” takes an extra second but once rolling along, the pace picks up.

Once we got the feel for the sprayer, it was time to paint the wall using the iSpray nozzle. Steady motions and sticking within 6”-8” of the wall are key to a smooth, pristine, even finish. Even my mom had an easy go of it!

Pretty fast it becomes obvious how efficiently and quickly an area can be painted with this sprayer.

One of the great things about the Wagner Flexio 5000 sprayer is that the heavy parts are not in your hand which makes handling and maneuvering the sprayer manageable, even on a ladder. 

I didn’t mask off areas, using a piece of cardboard instead. I did end up with a little overspray so be sure to mask off appropriately. Look how far the air hose stretches while on a ladder!

Clean up is a cinch as there’s no paint-filled hose to clean, merely the paint container, the tip, and the top, all parts that disassemble in seconds.

Fill the canister with water, running it to shoot out the remaining paint.

The sprayer head disassembles for cleaning.

Thanks to the sprayer too, the paint dried faster than rolling so we were able to reassemble the living room sooner.

A job well done thanks to the Wagner Flexio 5000 paint sprayer!

Disclosure: This post was written in collaboration with Wagner. All opinions are my own.

15 Memorial Day Crafts
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
Becky at Flipping the Flip

• Pat

can you spray a ceiling with the sprayer, or does it have to remain horizontal to work proplerly?

• Leslie Cain Nolder

Yes you can. Be sure to cover all the walls, furniture and floor. Wear an appropriate fume mask and face mask.

• Darlyne

What did you use on the ceiling to protect overspray?

• Darlyne

Thank you so much. The 3m tape with plastic sounds interesting. Where did you purchase it at?

• Deb

What brand of paint did you use and what color? You said it was latex. Did you have to thin it?

• Becky at Flipping the Flip

It was Sherwin Williams Emerald Acrylic Latex paint in matte. The color is a Home Depot color, Suede Gray. With this particular sprayer, thinning is not required.

• Miriam I

Hey Becky! Love the color you chose and your tutorial is fabulous!

• Bek

That does it. I have to have a paint sprayer. But I will be very carefully researching them! I need something like that, that will allow for a variety of paint types. I looked at several that wouldn't even take latex! But I MUST have a paint sprayer!

• Becky at Flipping the Flip

Oh great! I'm so glad the info I provided was helpful! Yes, this sprayer takes latex with no problem. Be sure to check out those plastic liner bags if you'll be using other types of paint as that'll make clean up a snap. Thank you!