Asked on Nov 18, 2019

How should I clean the wallpaper in my kitchen for repapering?

Cher @ Designs By Studio CKathy Gunter LawPeggy Burnette
+2

I want to re-paper my kitchen, but I don't want to strip the existing paper. I know that I need to clean the existing paper first, but not sure of the most effective way to do it.

• CribbsStyle

I would use something like Krud Kutter or even Simple Green.

• Linda Sikut

Hi Deb,

It's better to remove the old wallpaper. The reason is that the moisture from the new wallpaper installation can soak through and loosen the old wallpaper. If the old one loosens enough, both the old and new will peel off. Some wallpapers are made to come off easily by just starting in a corner and slowly peeling it off. Others can be steamed. Using a "rabbit" tool to cut into the wallpaper can make it easier as well. Wishing you the best.

• Peggy Burnette

Hi Deb. Hope this information helps you with your wallpapering project. Showing results for can you paper over other wallpaper and how to clean it first

Search instead for can you paper over other wall paper and how to clean it first

Search Results

Web results

How to Hang New Wallpaper Over Old Wallpaper | Home ...

1. https://homeguides.sfgate.com › ... › Troubleshoot, Fix and Repair

Dec 19, 2018 - Wash the walls down using a weak solution of warm water and dish detergent. Allow to dry completely. Cut away pieces of existing wallpaper that have peeled or bubbled using a utility knife. ... Measure and cut the first strip of wallpaper, allowing at least 4 inches of excess on the top and bottom.

• Kathy Gunter Law

You will need to remove all grease so a good degreaser like GP66. Then seal so that you have no edges peeling or loose. Wipe down with warm water with blue Dawn. Once dry, you are ready for the new paper.

That said, I wouldn't recommend doing this. Removal isn't very difficult but it is time consuming.

• Cher @ Designs By Studio C

Hi, Deb!

It is a tedious task but I would definitely recommend removing the old paper first instead of papering over it. It's possible that during the process, the old paper will separate under the new paper and then it would have to be completely redone. I hope this helps!