Asked on Nov 18, 2019

How do I paint an artificial fireplace and two adjoining bookcases?

Kathy Gunter LawMarty PhelpsFlipturn
+9

. Can I use chalk paint or what? It looks like it’s manufactured wood.margaret

• Megan

Hi! You can definitely use chalk paint on this fireplace and adding bookshelves! Annie Sloan adheres great! Dixie Belle and Jolie are also good brands that will work well! Use a 2" Wooster shortcut angled brush to get into all the nooks and crannies!

• Cheryl A

you could use chalk paint I am giving you some ideas below also you can paint the inside of the cabinets another color and outside a neutral color

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/125397170845971414/

• Margaret Flood

Thank you Cheryl,

for your input . I was thinking of adding a little interest in my project by doing something a bit different with the book cases. Perhaps a contrasting color to make it pop more! Thx again for inspiring me!

• Flipturn

Before you paint, my suggestion is to attach the sides of the book cases to the fireplace walls so that all three pieces stand flush up against each other. Having the gap in between the cases and the fireplace visually makes the whole arrangement look unstable.

• Marty Phelps

How about painting the entire wall and bookcases black. That would unify the entire space.

• Margaret Flood

Thanks for your suggestion. It sounds interesting but don’t know if I could carry it off. But it did give me food for thought so thanks for the suggestion

• Kathy Gunter Law

I wouldn't recommend chalk paint for bookcases. It will scratch due to the movement of items on the shelves. You can use regular paint. I would prep by scuff with either fine steel wool or sandpaper. Clean with denatured alcohol. Then prime and paint.