Asked on Nov 18, 2019

How can I repair a large water stain on a hardwood floor?

Kelli L. MilliganCindyPeggy Burnette
+1

How can I repair a large water stain on a hardwood floor without refinishing the entire floor?

• Peggy Burnette

Hi Donna, sorry you have a large stain on your hardwod floor. I hope this helps you fix the problem. How do you fix water damaged wood floors?

How to Repair a Water-Damaged Hardwood Floor

1. Mask off the surrounding boards with painter's masking tape. ...
    2. Mix oxalic acid crystals (available at paint or hardware stores) in 1 cup (8 fl oz/250 ml) or so of hot water and stir to dissolve them. ...
    3. Pour, brush or sponge the solution on the stained area.

More items...

How to Repair a Water-Damaged Hardwood Floor | Hunker

https://www.hunker.com › how-to-repair-a-water-damaged-hardwood-floor

• Cindy

Hi Donna. My name is Cindy. I recommend making a paste with salt and olive oil. Put it directly on the water stains. Let it sit at least an hour. Then come back and wipe it all up with a damp cloth. The salt will pull out any moisture and the olive oil will condition the wood. Repeat if needed.

• Kelli L. Milligan

It really all depends on the existing finish. If it was a refinished from factory floor you won't be able to match it. If it was finished on job it can be more easily matched. I'd call in a pro. Too easy to mess it up if you've never refinished anything.