Re-Cover a Chair With a Woven Rug

$20

Why limit yourself to upholstery fabric, when you can reupholster your chair with an inexpensive woven rug. Rugs are durable and add texture and style that is difficult to find in fabric. Grab a 2'x3' woven cotton rug for an average sized chair seat and follow this easy tutorial for a quick but dramatic chair makeover.

Find yourself a chair with potential! I found this unique chair at a thrift store for $4.99. Remove the seat and the old upholstery fabric. Pull out any old staples with pliers and a flat head screwdriver.

I picked this woven cotton rug up for $16.00. Place your seat, the chair seat that is  , over your rug and decide what part of the pattern you want to cut out. leave several inches of allowance on all sides.

Use a heavy duty stapler to attach the rug to the seat. Start by stapling the four center points of all sides, and then work outward. Be sure to check your pattern several times to make sure you're not pulling your pattern wonky. I used 1/2 inch staples on my project.

Re-attach your seat to the chair frame. I had to use slightly longer screws to accommodate for the thicker cushion material. Also, do any re-finishing to the chair frame before you re-attach the seat.

I sanded my frame for a more natural wood tone, and sealed it with a satin water based sealer.

And that's it! Now you can enjoy your cozy new chair.

Be sure to check out my blog for a more in depth tutorial.

31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
Heather Cammack

• Sherri

Didn't you have to put some type of cushion on the chair?

• Shelly

So it has to be a thin rug just asking cuz u used a staple gun

• Marion D. Randell

No it doesn't have to be a thin rug..you Can buy larger staples for thicker fabric

• Rose

I will need

new cushions what should I purchase?

• Ginger

Joanns has foam that you can cut. Use the old one as a pattern but also take into consideration that the old foam will be flatter so allow the new fabric to have some lead way. 😊