Asked on Nov 19, 2019

How do I make DIY 'color catchers' for the laundry?

Anne CCelebrate & Decorate (Chloe Crabtree)Vickymcreations

I am trying to save some money. The 'color catchers' they sell at stores are just way to expensive. Therefore I am on the hunt for a instructions on how to make my own. Can somebody out there help me? Thanks.

• Vickymcreations

What a good question, I use shop bought ones all the time. I did a quick google search and found this post, but I would want to test them out before risking my laundry! https://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/make-your-own-color-catchers/

1. Start with pieces of white cloth. They can be old towels, wash cloths, flannel or something like that. ...
    2. Dissolve 1 tablespoon of washing soda into one cup of hot water.
    3. Dip the cloths in the soda/water and wring out. ...
    4. When they're dry, store your homemade color catchers by washer so they're handy when you do laundry.

• Anne C

Not to discourage your DIY efforts but I've functioned my whole life without them and never had a color bleed. One way to prevent this issue is to use cold water most of the time except when another temperature is needed. (Ex.: recently I spilled hair oil in my suitcase and I soaked the items in hot soapy water to release the oil.) I have DIY my laundry powder for years and never had a problem, I pre treat stains with the same DIY powder made into a cream and rubbed into the stain. I also found a pod 'Dropps' that is formulated for cold water and my mom is using the 1/2 load size for all her laundry.