Update Your Ceiling Fan

$20
1 Day

I finally updated an old brass ceiling fan in our place! It just needed a little love and paint and wow what a drastic change!

You can see more of my crazy creations here

Here is the original dated ceiling fan.

The first thing we did was take it down.

I washed and cleaned all of the fan's parts.

I covered the motor with a plastic bag and used painter's tape to cover the sockets so I wouldn't get paint on them.

I spray painted the brass parts with Rustoleum Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint. It was a primer and paint all in one. I let that dry completely.

I painted the fan blades with 1 coat of Folk Art Home Decor Chalk Paint in the color Castle. I did a light coat so the old color would show through. I was going for a weather barn wood look.

Once the paint was dry, I dry brushed Folk Art Home Decor Wood Tint in the color Grey.

I let these all dry completely.

I bought replacement glass globes as I wanted to update the old ones. I got these at Walmart.

After everything was dry, we hung it back up and absolutely love it!

I would love to have you stop by my blog   Chas' Crazy Creations  for the full tutorial as well as sign up for my latest creations, posts, recipes, exclusives, and more...

I would love for you to subscribe to my YouTube channel to see more of my crazy creations - https://www.youtube.com/c/chascrazycreations

Chas' Crazy Creations

• Stella Smith

You covered the motor with a plastic bag yet the motor is painted in the finished pic. How did that happen?

• Moe Boatman

Perhaps you could have said that in your tutorial & shown the picture sooner!

• Yarnmiss

i have these fake straw mesh in the blades of the fan (4) I would like to remove them to change the look of the fan. this fan is 35 yrs old. gets dirty so fast. if I redo them with a glossy finish will that minimize the dust that coats them?? also how does someone who knows nothing electrical take this fan down??

• Paula P

Your fan blades might be solid on the other side. If so, you can just flip them over without touching any electrical parts. Just make sure the current is turned off so you don't get hit by a whirling fan blade.

• Marmee

I’m interested in how the spray paint adhered to the brass. Do you think it would work on the brass lighting fixture over the mirror in a bathroom?

• Sarge

Love it. Here’s mine. Changes the globes and painted the blades. The color of the body wasn’t changed.

• Marilyn

That's absolutely gorgeous. Thank you for sharing now I'm stealing that idea and going to do my ugly brass fan like that. Or at least make an attempt at it.

LOL wish me luck