Replacing Worn Out Christmas Yard Lights With Icicle Lights

$8

We have had these candy cane winter creature lights for several years (and I’m pretty sure they were my parents’ for a while, too), and last year the lights finally bit the dust. It is impossible to find replacement lights made for these, and starting over with completely new fixtures gets expensive fast. Rather than throwing everything out, I decided to re-string them with icicle lights.

For this project, all you need are your old decorations and a new strand of icicle lights. If you are lucky, you can buy a strand while a store is running a big promotional discount (i.e. 50% off). Due to a sale at Target, we ended up only spending $5!

First step was to carefully remove the old light strand, making sure not to lose any attachment pieces.

These are the attachments on the candy canes I have, so most should look similar.

The icicle lights I bought alternated long and short “icicles”. For a good spacing between each candy cane, I used every other long icicle. (I have plans for the other long icicles, but haven’t found the right supplies yet).

Next, you will reassemble the candy canes onto the new lights. If yours are like mine, feed the base ring all the way to the top of the icicle.

Reinsert the inside holder piece and feed the icicle into the candy cane.

Attach the stake...

...and decorate your yard! Please pay no mind to my messy flower beds... this year was crazy busy and I was not able to keep up with the grass and weeds.

If I can ever find the right size, I plan to put extra large clear or white plastic ornaments over the other long icicles to look like snowballs.

13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas

• Paula P
    Paula P

What did you do with the penguin and snowman figures?

• Amanda
      Amanda
      Just now

Paula, this year I figured out the stakes could fit very snuggly in the groves on the bottom, so I did that and put the long icicles inside like I did to the candy canes.

• Kim 'Kiewatt' Waknitz
    Kim 'Kiewatt' Waknitz

What did you do with the short icicle strands. Also is it safe to have the extra strands laying on the ground?

• Zan
      Zan

You could probably twist them into the main strand and use hot glue to hold together to keep off the ground, if concerned about stepping on them.

• Karen Hardesty
    Karen Hardesty

Could you put round white styrofoam balls over the lights?

• Flipturn
      Flipturn

I doubt if these bulbs would have enough wattage to shine through a styrofoam ball.