How to Strip and Stain Furniture

$75

Here is a tutorial on how to strip your wood furniture and stain it to bring it back to life.

The beautiful after.

I found this piece on a local swap site and loved everything about it, but the color. I brought it home, took all the doors off, drawers out, and removed the hardware.

Using my favorite project, Citristrip and wearing gloves and goggles, I used a cheap paint brush to coat the surface. I worked in about a 2 ft by 2 ft space before moving on to the next. I would let it sit for about 30 minutes.

I used a metal scraper and an old coffee can to scrape up all the stain that bubbled up. Once it was done I used an after wash to clean off the rest of the surface.

After everything had dried, I used my favorite combination of stains, then followed up with a final coat of Polycrylic.

To get the full tutorial, be sure to head over to the blog.

https://www.cribbsstyle.com/how-to-strip-and-stain-furniture-for-a-coastal-farmhouse-look/

CribbsStyle

• Beth Sullivan

Ii found a nice stand-up framed mirror to put behind my dresser. The mirror frame is close to the original color of your piece. My dresser is like a grayish driftwood/washed color.

My main question is if I should take the mirror apart from the frame I want to strip & redo to match my dresser?

Your piece looks fantastic! I'm a FL. coastal lady & I love natural wood. Never done a project like this but am ready to get started with a mirror frame.

• CribbsStyle

Thank you so much!! I probably wouldn’t remove the mirror unless it’s super easy to do. I would tape off around the edges really well with painters tape and protect the mirror.

• Jjqq

I didn't know what "afterwash" was - so I clicked on your link. Looks like it is a product to help drying after a car wash - adds shine and helps to reduce swirls and scratch marks. The directions don't list using it on wood - so wanted to ask if the finish makes it glossy ? I wondered how stain would adhere to a glossy surface? Thanks for your input -

• Jjqq

Thanks for the clarification- makes much more sense :)