How to Strip and Stain Furniture

$75

Here is a tutorial on how to strip your wood furniture and stain it to bring it back to life.

The beautiful after.

I found this piece on a local swap site and loved everything about it, but the color. I brought it home, took all the doors off, drawers out, and removed the hardware.

Using my favorite project, Citristrip and wearing gloves and goggles, I used a cheap paint brush to coat the surface. I worked in about a 2 ft by 2 ft space before moving on to the next. I would let it sit for about 30 minutes.

I used a metal scraper and an old coffee can to scrape up all the stain that bubbled up. Once it was done I used an after wash to clean off the rest of the surface.

After everything had dried, I used my favorite combination of stains, then followed up with a final coat of Polycrylic.

To get the full tutorial, be sure to head over to the blog.

https://www.cribbsstyle.com/how-to-strip-and-stain-furniture-for-a-coastal-farmhouse-look/

21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
Brooke Cribbs- Cribbs Style

• Beth Sullivan
    Beth Sullivan

Ii found a nice stand-up framed mirror to put behind my dresser. The mirror frame is close to the original color of your piece. My dresser is like a grayish driftwood/washed color.

My main question is if I should take the mirror apart from the frame I want to strip & redo to match my dresser?

Your piece looks fantastic! I'm a FL. coastal lady & I love natural wood. Never done a project like this but am ready to get started with a mirror frame.

• Thank you so much!! I probably wouldn’t remove the mirror unless it’s super easy to do. I would tape off around the edges really well with painters tape and protect the mirror.

• Jjqq
    Jjqq

I didn't know what "afterwash" was - so I clicked on your link. Looks like it is a product to help drying after a car wash - adds shine and helps to reduce swirls and scratch marks. The directions don't list using it on wood - so wanted to ask if the finish makes it glossy ? I wondered how stain would adhere to a glossy surface? Thanks for your input -

• Jjqq
      Jjqq

Thanks for the clarification- makes much more sense :)

• Weazie
    Weazie

I have a dining table/chair set that is "blonde" and appears to only have a poly-type of coat on it. I want to remove the poly and stain top and seats of chairs. I will paint everything else. Would your recommended products do the trick?

• Diane
    Diane

Finally, someone knows what to do with wood that don't entail using paint!! Thank you!!! Beautiful!!

• AndradeTea
    AndradeTea

The color you selected is beautiful. The piece looks brand new and so lovely in the space.