DIY Wood Block Signs

$7

Make these cute DIY wood block signs for any holiday with basic preschool building blocks. They're perfectly sized for this easy project. And when you find them thrifting, they're even better!

You've probably seen a reversible wood sign or two by now. 

I've seen (and admired) them for a while.

Because I'm a 2-for-1 kind of girl. I love clever, efficient, and thrifty. 

And when you get two signs from one piece, well that's...clever, efficient, and thrifty!

Especially when you throw in a thrift store find.

So these blocks that I found one day...they're a perfect example of why I keep that list of hacks tucked in the back of my mind when I shop. Like this one: keep an open mind.

I thought they'd make perfect little DIY wood block signs for the upcoming holidays. 

Clever, efficient, and thrifty, right? :) 

I planned to use the smooth sides for the signs and sanded the pictures off easily. 

The raised letter sides were another story. I decided to just sand off the paint and smooth them slightly. Since they were going to be on the sides of the signs, it wouldn't be a problem. 

After all the vibrant colors were gone, I covered all the blocks with white chalk paint. I planned to distress the edges, so a single coat was enough. 

For the first side, I designed a Thanksgiving message and added a couple of crisp fall leaves. 

Visit the blog at the link below for tips on making your own stencils, and how to get a perfect transfer.

And for the other side, I chose one of my favorite Christmas phrases - a constant reminder that the world can know joy because of Jesus!

This sign has more letters than the first, so a few of them only play single-duty. I'll show you below how they work together. 

I used very fine-grit sandpaper to rough up the edges and some of the letters a little. Just enough to make them look a bit worn and comfortable. 

The leaves are my favorite.

I layered a few fall colors to try to capture the look of those prettiest leaves that are in transition from summer to fall. 

I love those!

Fast forward a few weeks to Christmas and a pile of fake snow.

Because fake is more reliable here than real snow, sadly. 

Spoken like a true Southerner who has no experience with the "not so pretty" side of snow, right? :)

I love the trees.

And the cute little shy deer. 

These DIY wood block signs are so much fun. 

They sat on the table for over a week after I made them and my kids kept rearranging them into different patterns. 

First the trees on top.

Then the deer on top. 

And sometimes the star. 

But this was my favorite way to arrange them. For now. 

And when you turn them around you can't miss the best part about these DIY wood block signs: clever, efficient, and thrifty!

Happy Thrifting,

Karen

To Work With My Hands

• Kelly R

What’re you going to do with the little wagon piece?

• Katen

I see elves on the shelf pulling a Christmas tree in the wagon, or an Easter bunny pulling eggs, or a doll pulling a flag or parade paraphernalia, a Skelton pulling pumpkins, or a pilgrim pulling a turkey or something more creative. Not convinced I’d tear off wheels. Remember these toys

are designed to withstand kids play, so really not meant to come off

• Theresa Holz

The wagon? Why of course, the perfect Christmas tree being brought home!

• Donna

What size are the blocks?

looks great!!

• Sandy

I have this exact same set that I got from a thrift store. But a few of them had been chewed on. But fun idea. Thanks.

• To Work With My Hands

A few of mine had too, actually. 😂 And it was also missing a couple, but I still had enough otherwise.

I think they’re super easy to find. Hope you have fun with yours! 🧡

• Sandra Allen

I love this!! And your photos are great.