Built-In Shelving Between Wall Studs

$50
1 Day

Sometimes there just isn't enough space in a room for shelving as is the case in our new front room. there is another option: to put the shelving in the wall between the studs!

Before I installed the drywall on this wall, I built two narrow cubbies to fit between the studs using 1x6 lumber (ripped down to a narrower width) and 1/4" plywood for the back.

Once the drywall was installed, I built a frame around the outside of the cabinets and added a piece to cover the stud in the center. Then I painted everything in my favorite shade of white (Silky White by Behr).

I cut and notched pieces of 1x6 lumber as shelves (I used a template to create the shelves) and attached the shelves to the cabinet with wood cleats. The shelving and cleats were stained and sealed prior to installing them.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to add a shelf to the bottom for balance but I haven't fully decided yet... What do you think? For more information, check out the blog post at Designs by Studio C!

Cher @ Designs By Studio C

• Marcie

I like it just like it is. I think a shelf on the bottom would be a hazard for clumsy people like me 🙂 or small children. Also it you put one on the bottom would you need one on the top? Hmm......

• Patti

I hope the 2 x 4 you cut into does not bother the structural integrity of that wall?????? Concerned

• Jill Ron Pike

The 2 x 4 was not cut into. The shelves were notched to fit around them. Look a little closer...you can see the wood cleats supporting the shelves.

• Keira

It's brilliant, I love it. Looks very nice!

• Jacx

Three is a prim number and always an important number. Odds are always a better balance and more pleasing to the eye. Leave it as is and live w it for awhile. A bottom one would seem crowded to me and potentially hazardous. I love that extension you added out. Gives just that extra bit of space. Well done.