Built-In Shelving Between Wall Studs

$50
1 Day

Sometimes there just isn't enough space in a room for shelving as is the case in our new front room. there is another option: to put the shelving in the wall between the studs!

Before I installed the drywall on this wall, I built two narrow cubbies to fit between the studs using 1x6 lumber (ripped down to a narrower width) and 1/4" plywood for the back.

Once the drywall was installed, I built a frame around the outside of the cabinets and added a piece to cover the stud in the center. Then I painted everything in my favorite shade of white (Silky White by Behr).

I cut and notched pieces of 1x6 lumber as shelves (I used a template to create the shelves) and attached the shelves to the cabinet with wood cleats. The shelving and cleats were stained and sealed prior to installing them.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to add a shelf to the bottom for balance but I haven't fully decided yet... What do you think? For more information, check out the blog post at Designs by Studio C!

Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
Cher @ Designs By Studio C

• Marcie
    Marcie

I like it just like it is. I think a shelf on the bottom would be a hazard for clumsy people like me 🙂 or small children. Also it you put one on the bottom would you need one on the top? Hmm......

• Patti
    Patti

I hope the 2 x 4 you cut into does not bother the structural integrity of that wall?????? Concerned

• Jbird68
      Jbird68

They didn't cut in to the 2x4. They added 1 by's around it to make it thicker.

• Carol Jollymore
    Carol Jollymore

I love it 100% one of the best ideas I have seen here and KUDOs for grabbing those precious inches of space! Well Done!

• Mary Russell
    Mary Russell

This is one of the projects on my to-do list for some time now.I am planning to go higher at the top but stop shorter with shelves to display a very expensive and pretty set of dishes,/a complete setting for 8.I know I will not be able to put all pieces up but hope to put a representing set up for display.We had them in a huge hutch but it just took up too much space.