The smell is creosote which gets stuck inside the flu. You need to call in a chimney sweep.
Hope this helps:
When was your fireplace serviced last? Should be inspected at least annually by a licensed professional. Until you can schedule a visit, open doors and windows, use bowls of charcoal.
Chimney sweeps vary and I would call around and see what credentials they have.
Also make sure they warranty their work, as I’ve seen they don’t always get everything and I have to have them come back.
this may help https://www.mollymaid.com/practically-spotless/2016/september/how-to-extinguish-fireplace-odors/