Patching a Hole in the Wall

Before repainting a room you should take the time to patch any holes. This is an easy project you can do yourself.
You don't need to hire a professional, you can patch the holes yourself. First make sure the hole or crack is not part of a larger structural problem or caused by a leak.
You'll need some simple tools and some speckling compound.
First scrape away any loose paint or plaster from the holes. Use a knife if necessary.
Lightly sand around the hole.
Scoop the speckling compound onto your putty knife and run the knife over your crack or hole. Let the compound harden and apply another layer. Continue applying compound until the crack or hole is completely filled.
When the final layer is dry, gently sand and cover with primer.
Once the hole or crack is covered with primer you are ready to paint your room. Wasn't that easy!

Nancy On The Home Front

• Michelle Webster

I am having an issue with covering holes in the bathroom from the old mirror. I spackle a couple of coats....sand smooth to the touch...prime and paint. You can still see where I patched the hole. Please tell me what I am doing wrong?

1 comment
  • Ian Anderson

Good explanation! Sometimes on larger holes it helps to pack the hole with something to help support the filler while it sets. We use fiberglass drywall joint mesh/tape (but you can use anything in a pinch, even paper), just cut a small piece off and scrunch it up into a ball and push it into the hole, making sure it sits below the surface so that the filler covers it.

This also helps avoid thick layers of compound which can take ages to dry (it still thinks it's in the tub, so doesn't set  !)...