Star Light , Star Bright, Let's Make An Outdoor Star Light!

$12

Every year I like to create different lights to add to my outdoor winter decor. My faves are still my outdoor lanterns, but they have been moved to a different location this year on my metal bed frame bench. So my shepherds hooks were looking kind of bare. I was inspired by this idea when I came across these stars at the Dollar store. They come in two sizes and a variety of colors. I knew immediately what I wanted to create as soon as I seen them. This is a quick and cheap project that can be used indoors or out with only a few supplies needed.

To create two lights which I did, you will need 4 stars and 2 packs of battery operated mini lights with built in timer. They come in multi colored, bright or soft white. I chose bright white for this project.

You are going to take your star and place the front facing down, and you are going to use a hot glue gun and one set of lights.

Once your glue gun is heated you are going to start gluing your lights randomly inside the star. Do not glue the wire part, but the plastic part right before the light tip. Continue doing until you come to the battery pack. You will place this in the middle.

It should look like this when you are finished.

Next step is to take your second star and place over the back side of the star you attached your lights to. Locate where the switch is on your battery pack and cut out a piece of the star you placed on top to allow you access to the switch. This will allow you to turn your lights on.

Taking your glue gun you are going to join the two stars together now. To get a tight bond I recommend using some type of clip to secure. Continue going around the star until all sides are sealed.

Next you are going to take a Christmas pic which I got at the Dollar store or you can opt to use a bow instead and once again using your glue gun attach to star.

Here is my light finished. Repeat steps to make second light. I used some wire and secured my light to prevent it from twirling around if it gets windy.

Here are my two lights day and night shots. To activate the timer on light follow these steps. Pick desired time you want your lights to come on, then using the hole you cut in the back of the star simply turn the switch located on the battery pack on. The lights will turn off by themselves after 6 hrs then turn themselves back on the next day at the time you initially turned them on.

I love how these turned out. They look great day or night! This is Dollar store crafting at its finest. Each light cost only $6.00 to make.

• Kim 'Kiewatt' Waknitz

You said you used DollarTree items, but what about the timer? You didn’t say where it came from or how/where it’s placed in the star. Or did I miss something? Really like the look, wondering how to replace the batteries.

• Deborah

A couple of years ago I bought 'candles' that are battery operated from Dollar General.....they have a timer 'built-in' that shuts them off after a few hrs., I think 8....saves battery loss. I just got some 10 ct. led strings from 'Family Dollar Tree' that were only one dollar and there is no timer. I am thinking that for about two dollars or two fifty...there may be a timer built in as well as more lights. Will get back here after the next time I shop there.

• JENNIFER

Mine are not they are for I doris but like in a window or they would work. I do have one i made from styrofoam that reads merry Christmas and its outside but under the roof hangover so the weather doesn't get to it.

• Patty

So cute and inexpensive. Love it!