DIY Wood Wall Decor

$20

Have you ever moved into a new space and realized that you didn't have anything to put on your new walls? Or have you looked around your current space and wished for an inexpensive refresh? You're in the luck! These DIY wood squares are the perfect decor for any space. But beware: once you make one, you might fall in love and want to make some for every room in your house!

Tools:

• Nail gun
  • Miter saw with fine tooth saw blade and a handsaw OR a handsaw with a miter box
  • Glue
  • Clamps

Shopping list:

• 6 - 5/8" poplar square dowels
  • 120-220 grit sandpaper
  • Stain - we used Special Walnut
  • Picture frame hanger
  • 1.5" nails

Let's start DIYing! For additional tips on this project, visit the full blog at https://www.craftedbythehunts.com/diy-wood-wall-decor.

1. First, cut the boards for the frame. We made our wood squares 12" x 12", so we cut two boards to 12" and two boards to 10.75"

2. Glue the frame together and clamp until dry. 

3. Next, position your miter saw or miter box to cut at 45-degrees.

4. Cut the four boards you will use to create your diamond. 

5. Glue and clamp your diamond in place.

6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 to create the square in the middle of the wood art.

7. The next pieces will likely be too small to cut with a miter saw, so you might need to break out the handsaw for the next step.

8. Mark the center of your board and place your saw in the 45-degree slot of your miter box. Line up your wood so that you cut to the center of the board. For these pieces, one side will be an arrow and the other side will be a normal cut. Measure 2x the length that you need the pieces to be + a little more to account for the saw blade. Cut both sides to be an arrow. 

9. Cut the board in half to create two equal pieces. Repeat steps 8 and 9 so that you have 4 equal pieces.

10. Glue the pieces into the corners of your wood art.

11. Once all of the glue is dry, add two nails to the top and two to the bottom for extra support.

12. Hand sand the wood square.

13. Stain your wood square. We used Minwax Special Walnut to achieve our look.

14. Attach a picture frame hanger to the back to easily hang your wood square.

Zoe Hunt

• Jjqq

Your post says for additional info on this project - visit your blog. I went to the blog but didn't see any other information that isn't shown in this post - did I miss it?

I think it's a very unique idea - especially for photos. I guess you just put a little glue on the photos to attach to the wood -

• Pamela

What a creative idea! I paint with watercolors and acrylics and am always looking for frames that complement my work.

• Mary

Great idea! Like the look.

• Emmybel
    14 minutes ago

Made a giant one for in between my windows. Still can’t decide whether to put a picture or something floral in the middle. It’s my new favorite DIY in the bedroom! Please excuse the no sheets, muddy dog jumped on my bed. 🤣