Paint Skin Resin Clock

$10

This project is for anyone who doesn’t like waste and who also likes to make beautiful decor from scratch. So if you often find yourself with left over cups of paint following a project and hate to just wash this down the sink, then here’s a solution for you.

And if you also happen to be thinking, ‘resin, nah that’s too expensive!’ then fear no more! I’ve not only found the best brand at the cheapest price to start with, but I will also give you a further 20% off any of their products online curtesy of my shiny discount code all details below!

WARNING, this project contains highly addictive content.

For my FULL VIDEO TUTORIAL on this project and many others, please check out my YouTube channel, using the link highlighted and the little YouTube button a the top of the page.

Please also check out my Instagram using these buttons and give me a lil’ follow!

What you’ll need:

• Resin - FOR 20% OFF use code HANNAH20 at TheEpoxyResinStore
  • Left over paint - mix each colour with a bit water if it isn’t runny enough to pour already
  • A round silicone mold
  • Rubber gloves
  • Plastic measuring jug and mixing spatula
  • Blow torch
  • Clock Mechanism (pick one with a wall hook built in)
  • Drill with a drill bit a wide as your clock mechanism spindle

The first few steps in this project are so so easy! First, add all your left over colours into one cup in any order you like, just make sure you use them all up! No waste!

I then gave the cup of paint a quick stir to add a little bit of interest.

No 2 pours will be the same so it’s lots of fun to experiment and see what patterns come out.

Now pour out your paint into your round silicone mold. I gently shake my cup from side to side every so often to create some exaggerated ripples.

Once your pouring cup is empty, pick up and tilt your mold so that the paint coats the entire base. This is another opportunity to have fun with your paint because depending on how to you move it, you can create lots of different effects.

What I love about this project too is that not only is there a beautiful pattern on top that you can see, there’s another pattern on the bottom that will be revealed later so you’ll have 2 to choose from!

Once you’re happy with how your paint looks, allow to dry. This will typically take around 2 full days.

Once your paint has dried, it’s time to mix up your resin.

Use my link in the materials list above for 20% off ANY purchase with The Epoxy Resin Store. I have tried all their resin products and although there are definitely ideal resins for different more technical projects, I would say it’s safe to go with any of them for a straight forward project like this. Here I’m using their ‘General Use Epoxy Resin’.

Gloves on! Mix an exact 1:1 ratio of resin (A) with your hardener (B). You will be provided with both parts in your purchase. 

First add in PART B to your plastic mixing jug. Then add in PART A. Always do it this way round.

For a clock face this big (9 inches), you shouldn’t need more than 1 cup of fully mixed resin.

So, for example, in order, measure out:

PART B = up to the 1/2 cup line in the plastic measuring jug

PART A = up to the 1 cup line in the plastic measuring jug as this already contains 1/2 cup of PART B.

Then mix thoroughly for about 5 minutes scraping the sides and the bottom of the mixing jug regularly. If you do not mix the resin well enough, it will not cure properly. My silicone spatula is great for getting to every corner/edge of the jug.

I’ve never had any problems with my resin not curing like glass when following the above advice.

Once fully mixed, pour out the resin into your round mold on top of your dried paint skin. Just make sure that the clock mechanism you buy has a long enough spindle to be threaded through the thickness of your resin/pain face.

The purpose of adding resin to your mold at this point is to give your paint skin something of substance to hold onto and something for your clock mechanism to fit into. Without it, your paint skin will peel out thin and flimsy.

Use your blow torch/heat gun/lighter to pop any little bubbles in your resin. Don’t hold your blow torch on any particular area of resin for too long at a time as this could burn it. However, early on, if this should accidentally happen, simply try scooping out the burnt area of resin with a clean stick.

I usually revisit my resin regularly over the next hour to pop any new bubbles that might have surfaced. However, as time goes on, it’s important to note that your resin will become a lot less workable, so if you burn the resin at this point, it is unlikely you can scoop out the burnt part without leaving a dent or hole in your clock surface.

From pouring out to peeling off, allow at least 12 hours curing time.

My favourite part, peeling off that silicone mold! Not only is it very satisfying because of the clean mold left behind, but you finally get to see that 2nd pattern option that’s been hiding underneath this whole time.

And what a pattern it is! So much so that I choose this side as my clock face.

You’ll have to decide for yourself which of your 2 sides you prefer

Lay something down underneath your clock face to protect your work surface and then drill a hole in the center.

Then follow the instructions on the pack for your clock mechanism and assemble.

Ta-dah!

I can ‘bang out’ about 10 of these clocks using 1 pack of 64oz resin and a bulk-buy of 10 clock mechanisms from Walmart. It’s such a great way to cut down on paint waste and to create a fabulous sellable/gift idea at the end of it all, and for me, that’s a winner!

I hope you’ve enjoyed this tutorial as much as I enjoyed making it!

I would really love it if you could take a look at my YouTube  and Instagram  and gave me a little follow and subscribe. Any questions or comments that you might have, drop them below and I’ll be thrilled to get back to you.

Thank you! X

• Lora

Love it! Very creative !

Just wondering - what if the side with no epoxy on it ( underside ) is the side you want your clock . Do you flip it over and add epoxy to that side as well ?

• Hannah Somerville

Nope, no need. That's exactly what I found, the underside was my favourite but the drying and curing process of the paint and resin somehow makes it hard and smooth and ready to go

• Kathy Lanora Thomas

Could you add numbers to the face of the clock after the paint dries and before you put on the risen?

• Jewellmartin

You could place numbers, small shells or flat marbles or dried flowers while the paint is still malleable, perhaps using straight pins to brace the articles in place. But once the resin covers the paint and your objects, everything should sit still for drying and curing. These make wonderful 3D disks to create a clock, but you can also make coasters and other objects.

• Patricia Atwell

How do you hang it?

• Louise

Wow..An cool ..effects are amazeing thanks :)

• Bubber

Love the idea of the paint skin ! Definitely worth a try. Thanks for sharing !!