Advent Calendar Garland

$10

This Christmas countdown Advent calendar garland looks like a string of giant peppermint candies! Fill it with candies and small gifts, and it's a fun way to count down the days until Christmas, AND it's a darling Christmas decoration the whole season long.

Use empty toilet paper tubes, fabric, string or ribbon, and my free printable Advent calendar numbers (available for free download on the blog post linked below) to make these irresistible treat-filled faux bonbons.

Cut the fabric into rectangles large enough to cover half a cardboard toilet paper tube. I used pinking shears on the short ends that wouldn't be glued down, so that the fabric wouldn't fray over the years of tying and untying the garland to get at the treats inside.

The form of each candy is made with a toilet paper roll! I used half a roll for each of the candies for the garland.

The ends are tied together with ribbon, and I strung the candies together on some yarn to create the advent calendar garland.

It looks gorgeous hanging on my fireplace mantel!

Here's a video showing how easy this advent calendar garland is to make.

Nikki Wills

• Jay Garden

How are they opened? Or not until the end, it would ruin the display on day one!

• Nikki Wills

If you click over to the full tutorial on my blog, you'll see that each candy is attached to the string separately, and the ribbons used to tie the candies shut aren't involved in holding the whole thing together at all. So you can easily untie a bonbon each day, remove the gift, then tie it back up so it still looks pretty.

• Delores

what was it that you put in yours?

• Eric

Well its indeed a great idea but i dont used that much of tissue at home but then ill try to collect empty paper roll for the next holiday for its a little late for me thanks

• Liz

I think it’s a better idea to use paper towel rolls anyway. Toilet paper rolls would be less sanitary, considering they come from a bathroom.

• Kara Wurtzel

Nice!