Framed Christmas Tree Wall Art

$10

I love to paint to relax. Beleive me I'm no Michael Angelo or Picasso, but that doesn't matter the simplest of paintings can be so relaxing. As I was in the festive mood I painted all these simple baubles in watercolor paints. It's only when I finished the paintings that I got the idea to frame them into a flat Christmas tree. I'd already made a Boho flat wood slice tree for my lounge (see it here) and I thought this would look good in the dining room.

I bought the frames for this craft from the pound/dollar store I got 2 for a £1 and bought 14 in total. I only needed 13 but as they came in pairs so I had to have 14.

Using a simple set of watercolor paints and some postcard sized watercolors I painted 12 baubles one per postcard. 6 portrait and 6 landscape.

If you are not confident with designing your own baubles you can download my template designs from the blog and simply color them in with paint. (link at the end)

For one of the lanscaped postcards I painted a star for the top of the tree instead of a bauble.

Next, I removed the glass and backing from all the picture frames.

I painted 12 of them green using a tester pot of chalk paint. I used chalk paint as I could paint directly on to the wood without sanding.

I also painted one very large picture frame I had with a white background and a green frame. This is optional if you mount your frames straight onto a wall instead.

Next, I aranged the picture frames in a Christmas tree shape onto the frame.

Once I was happy with the layout, I secured the design with mounting squares.

As I mounted the pictures in a bigger frame this makes it easier to move from room to room or simply lean against a wall. I've done this before with a wonderful collection of f ree vintage bird prints which you can see here.

Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Sma33976427

A clever idea! What size is the large frame? I've got a few big frames I'm not using but not sure if they'll be large enough.

• Linda Abate

Such a great way to dress up a plain wall for the Christmas holidays. Absolutely love it.

• Jeannie Carle

This is a sweet decoration! I don't do Christmas decorating because I'm not here for Christmas - but THIS I can do! Thank you for a great idea!