Emily / Relentless Furniture
Emily / Relentless Furniture
  • Tutorial Team
  • South Milwaukee, WI

Thrift Store Basket Becomes Hanging Wall Mirror

$12

I picked up a basket/tray from a local thrift store for $0.50, but I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it. After it just sat on a shelf for a while, I decided to make it into wall décor. I found a round mirror that would fit inside and started creating a Bohemian-style wall hanging mirror.

Here is where I started. A simple thrifted basket for $0.50 and a plain, round mirror from Amazon for $4.60.

I used liquid nails to adhere the mirror to the basket. Since it's glass and you don't want it to break, I wanted to use a strong adhesive and I had leftover liquid nails from a previous project that worked perfectly for this. I added a book for a little pressure while it dried. (Liquid nails is inexpensive and can be found at almost any hardware store. You can also find smaller tubes that can be squeezed out, using just your hands.)

After the mirror was attached, I decided that I wanted to add a frame around it, to give it a more "attached" or cohesive look. I found this holiday tin at Hobby Lobby and the cover fit perfectly around the mirror. I also grabbed some white twine, hoping to keep a natural/Bohemian look to the piece. I didn't need the plastic center of the lid, so I used a box cutter to remove it. It's flimsy plastic, so it was very easy to remove.

I used hot glue to adhere the twine to the tin cover. I would put down a couple inches of glue at a time and then lay the twine over it, pressing each row tightly against the previous row to prevent any gaps.

I lined the inside of the tin cover/frame with liquid nails so that it would adhere to the mirror and the base of the basket. I pressed the frame into place and, again, used a book to apply a little bit of pressure while it dried.

Here is the final look. It works perfect as just a hanging mirror, but you can also add a few hooks to hang lightweight items like keys, jewelry, scarves, etc.

• Sandra Allen

I like this! I have some lids with hot-glued yarn hangers to habg up alone. I think the decorative obes add charm to a home.

• Kris

Love it! Thanks for your share!