Wood Plank Christmas Presents

$20

I headed to the craft store to get inspiration and fell in love with some red plaid ribbon. Earlier I made an embroidery hoop Christmas wreath and mini embroidery hoop Christmas ornaments with black and white check ribbon so I thought the red plaid would be fun to work with. With ribbon, a wood board, home paint and greenery, you can make beautiful wood plank Christmas presents.

Here is what you'll need:

• One 6 foot 1″ x 12″ pine board 
  • Chalk paint or acrylic paint/brush
  • sandpaper/rag
  • Natural Finishing Wax (if using chalk paint)
  • ribbon
  • floral wire
  • greenery
  • glue gun

The first thing I did was cut my wood into three lengths: 26″, 20″ and 12″. Your home improvement store should be able to cut it for you if you don’t have a way to do it yourself. Next I took an 80 grit piece of sandpaper and sanded the boards down to make them smooth. Always wipe the boards down after sanding with a lint free cloth to make sure all the sanding dust is off before painting to assure a smooth finish.

I chose chalk paint because it sands down easily and I wanted to give my presents a more rustic look. Chalk paint gives off a duller look, so if roughing up the edges doesn’t matter to you, I would try using a satin acrylic paint instead.

After applying two coats of paint and letting them completely dry, I took my sandpaper and sanded down the edges of the boards to show some bare wood, giving it more of a rustic feature.

Finishing wax gives chalk paint a protective layer. It will seal and protect your chalk paint from being ruined by moisture or dirty hands. It will also enhance the color of your chalk painted project and give it a nice sheen. Apply a thin coat on top, since this brand is thicker than other waxes, I used a rag and made sure that it was all buffed out smooth and evenly

My ribbon was 2.5″ thick. I wrapped it around the length of the board first, cut it and hot glued the edges together on the back. Then I went down 1/3 of the length of the board and wrapped more ribbon around horizontally, hot gluing the ends together. To make the ribbon more secure, I hot glued the two ribbons together on the back where the seams met and then hot glued it to the board. 

Next I took some floral wire and slid it diagonally under the ribbon in the front where the ribbon intersected and twisted it (see above).

I added my greenery and secured it with the floral wire. The bow will cover it up so you can be messy, just make sure it’s secure since you’ll be placing the wood plank presents upright.

1. Cut a piece of ribbon, about 20″ long and lay flat. Curl one side in until its end hits the middle of the ribbon strip.
  2. Curl the other end in to meet at the same place.
  3. Turn it over and pinch the middle
  4. Secure with floral wire. Make two of these.
  1. Lay the two loops on each other diagonally (figure 1).
  2. Cut a shorter piece of ribbon, about 15″ and tie it around the middle of the two loops. I folded my ribbon in half since it was so thick. 
  3. Cut the length to a desired size. 
  4. Place wire behind the knot on the back of the bow, and it’s ready to attach over the greenery where the ribbon intersects on your wood plank present. Fluff out the loops.

And there you have it! You can display the on the ground, the mantle or on shelves. These are for indoor use only, if you want to use outdoors, look for a clear acrylic coating spray.

Pamela - DIY vibes

• Lisa Bird

Those are Adorable!!!

• Joan

How pretty are these?? And I love that you showed how to do the bows.

Did you display these outside? If so (in the cold weather), how are they holding up?

• Pamela - DIY vibes

I just placed them outside a few days ago. I have a small porch so they are protected from the elements a bit but if it was going to snow or rain heavily, I'd probably bring them in. Even though I waxed them, they definitely wouldn't hold up sitting in water.

• DarleneOhio

It is too late for this year but I am totally pumped for next year to do this project. Thank you for the inspiration.

• Chrystal S. Green

This will be a nice decoration for a birthday party that's coming up. I'm going to do this with some hard plastic balloons and craft flowers. It will be lovely 😁