Simply Swider- Stephanie
Simply Swider- Stephanie
  • Virginia Beach, VA

Carpet to Wood Staircase Reveal

$150
2 Weeks
Advanced

After seeing all the beautiful wood staircase in the blogosphere we were convinced that we could turn our boring old carpeted stairs into custom looking wood stairs with an ebony handrail. We decided to start with our small kitchen stairs as a practice run for our larger foyer staircase. We made some mistakes and learned what worked best but the makeover came out so perfect that I can't wait to start on the
staircase carpet to wood reveal, stairs, woodworking projects
After ripping out the carpet the staircase got all new wood treads and white risers. The original handrails and newel post got stained black while the balustrades went white.
To save money we cut and routed all the wood treads ourselves out of pine boards.
I love how clean and new the staircase looks now. Not to mention how much easier it is to keep wood clean than carpet!
The ebony rails and newel post are my favorite part. The glossy finish is like jewelry for the stairs!
Before and after of our kitchen staircase makeover!
Simply Swider- Stephanie

• Sue

I really need some advice for a stair project we live in a house that has an open staircase with carpet on it that's from the 1980s trying to figure out a way of enclosing the stairs treads so you can't see through the steps any longer and removing the carpeting really need some ideas here thanks

• Linda Dineen

under my carpeting (stairway) the builders only did like a pressed board. What would I have to put down before I do any major work to my stairs.
    • Simply Swider- Stephanie

Our staircase was the same way. We removed all the pressboard and installed the new treads over the existing stringers. For the risers we glued stain grade plywood over the old plywood that was already there.