Asked on Dec 1, 2019

How do I remove melted wax from my velvet chair?

LouiseShelbyWilliam
+7

My cat knocked my wax melt pot and the wax went all down the side of my beautiful navy blue velvet chair. In the photI, it looks like white hairs are stuck to the wax but that is something the camera dreamed up, they are not there in person. I am afraid that anything I do will ruin this fabric-any ideas?

• Pamela

Try WD40

• Pat

I would ask a cleaner because they probably know what to use to remove wax from fabric. I am thinking you could do something with a hair dryer to soften the wax and then scrape it off. Better talk to a professional, though.

• Dee

If there are any globs of wax scrape off with the back side of a knife. Using an iron and a terry cloth towel, iron the towel over the wax. The wax should transfer to the towel. This could take many attempts to get it all. If the wax was colored it could leave a stain.

• Gilmer Gal

I looked on the net, and found all kinds of conflicting information. It might be possible to take an ice cube to the edge of the spill and try to gently 'knock off' pieces. Then get a hair dryer set to warm (not hot) to loosen the pieces? Whatever you do, don't let the wax melt too much or it will soak further onto the sofa. Also, NO SOLVENTS unless they are water-based.

• Jim

First take the dull side of a butter knife and scrape off as much wax as you can. Then get brown paper bags, the thicker the paper the better, put paper on wax and put a clothes iron on its lowest heat setting (no steam!!) on the paper until wax melts into paper. Repeat but do not let the cloth material on sofa get to hot. Just enough to melt the wax. Eventually, hopefully you will be able to remove all the wax.

Dee and Jim have the best technique. Scraping as much off as you can. Brown paper bags and an iron to remove residue. Then let what doesn't come off harden. Use a brush to remove the rest. Good luck.

• Shelby

I have done the hairdryer and paper bag method to remove wax from a carpet and chair. Took forever, but got it looking pretty good. The only problem was...the carpet was synthetic and the wax melted the fibers, so we ended up replacing a section of the carpet. The reason I mention that is because sometimes velvet is synthetic.

• Louise

Hi ..

To get this melt off ..kitchen roll..an a hairdryer or iron..if you use a hairdryer its better it will soak into the kitchen roll cover it an blow the dryer onto the paper once it warms up it soaks in this will work i have done this on my creame capert the melt was red..it workd .

If you use a iron use a kitchen towel.a old one. Cover it an leave iron on for a few seconds lowish temp it will warm up an soak into to towel keep repeating untill its gone :) hope you get it up