Asked on Dec 2, 2019

How do I remove white residue that's on the dishes/in the dishwater?

Denise FerreeBecky at Flipping the FlipIrene
+6

• Rob lunt

have you checked your salt and rinse aid.? that is normally the problem in our house, however just done a google search which doesn't even mention this....see the following link https://removeandreplace.com/2016/05/09/10-reasons-your-dishwasher-leaves-white-film-on-glasses-and-dishes/

• Dfm

vinegar in a cup in the bottom rack run the longest setting you have for the dishwasher

• Redcatcec

It sounds like residue from the dishwasher detergent, I agree, run it on the maximum time setting empty with white vinegar.

Another option is to consult with the manufacturers of specific detergent(s) and ask if anyone has reported this problem.

I would also ask if the detergent is completely dissolving, or is there some remaining in the dispenser.

• Kathy Gunter Law

I add 1 drop of blue Dawn to my dishwasher detergent and it has stopped the issue. To remove old build up, white cleaning vinegar will do the trick.

• Jan Clark

I also agree that it could be mineral deposit. But, if this has happened over a period of time, it could also be that the dishwasher detergent (which is caustic) has etched the glass or the coating on the dishes. Once that happens, there is really nothing that you can do - except try a different brand of detergent.

• Eileen

I always fill my rinse compartment with white vinegar instead of the store bought rinse product. It worked for me and I have hard water.

• Irene

Try using Powerizer to wash your dishes. You'll never use anything else. It's about $25.00 but the package lasts a really long time and no rinse agent is needed. Even your plastics come out really clean and the washer itself is cleaned every time you run it. You can find it on Amazon or on their site. Beats vinegar all to hell.

• Be sure to clean the filter in your dishwasher often (it might be on the bottom but check with the manufacturer) and occasionally run an empty load with a measuring cup filled up with vinegar. I also put vinegar in the drying aid compartment.

• Denise Ferree

Make sure your water is hot, mine used to do that. I found that I need to run the sink water a few minutes just before I start dishwasher to get water heated properly. Now no detergent left on dishes.