4 Quick Tips for Making Putting Away Clothes Less Dramatic

$0

I don't know what it is about laundry, but the process of putting it away takes far too long! Wash, dry - no problem. Fold and hang clothes? Takes a week.

Or maybe it did before.

Hopefully these tips will help speed up this unwanted chore we all have. And these tips are especially great for young moms with multiple kids.

Tip #1 - Stop folding stuff that will be hung up later!

If you are hanging up shirts, lay them flat in a pile. This will also make it easier to put hangers in them later (see below).

Tip #2 - Fold pants according to owner.

Make piles for each person in your home or at least for each room. Makes it so much easier to put away when you just got to plop a stack of clothes into a drawer.

Tip #3 - Throw all the socks in a pile. Match them up last.

Socks have a way of getting stuck in pants, so just throw them all in a pile and save them until the end and you'll *hopefully* have a match for everyone.

Tip #4 - Enlist Your Spouse & Kids to Help

Using my age-by-age guide to teaching kids how to do laundry, get your kids involved in the laundry process, starting as young as age 3. They can turn clothes right side out, fold them, and match up socks. Eventually, they can even wash, dry, and do it ALL themselves!

Tag-team with your spouse that someone puts away the shirts, and you'll put away the socks, underwear, and pants.

Just make it a family affair. You know those clothes aren't all yours.

Tip #5 - Load Baskets with Items to be Hung on Top

After you have all your stacks of clothes, piles of shirts to be hung, and matched socks, put them into baskets according to destination (which person's bedroom).

Load the bottom of the baskets with folded items, then lay the shirts to be hung on top. This will help prevent wrinkles and make it easy to hang the shirts.

I like to place the stack of shirts on the bed, or changing table, or even the floor. Then I do the next tip.

Tip #6 - Hang shirts all at once.

Grab all the empty hangers from your closet and then lay them down in front of your pile of shirts. Gently insert the hangers through the necks of your shirts, one by one, flipping down the hanger a little ways so you can get to the next shirt's neck, until all the shirts have hangers in them.

Then grab as many hangers as you can at once and then put them away! Easy peasy!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Then just put away the folded clothes in their drawers, enlisting your kids help for their clothes, and you are done!

That wasn't too bad, right?

See the rest of the post and my tips for speeding up laundry here: https://www.whatsupfagans.com/how-to-do-laundry-fast/

31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
Katelyn Fagan

• Sara

What is your opinion on the best clothes hangers to purchase?

• Rhonda

Non slip.

A little more cost but worth it at the end.

Your not picking up clothes up off the closet floor.

• Denise

what about ironing when do you iron hanging clothes up from dryer is good for some clothes like PJ but nothing looks awful than that dress or shirts that hasn't being ironed

• Malika Ibrahim

Well, where I grew up we had no washer and dryer, you were lucky if you could afford to pay some lady to wash and iron. I become overwhelmed with the darn laundry. I live alone now, yet as we speak, I have half a load I share my bed with. Hopefully this will inspire me to put it away promptly. Thank you!

• Sarah

I have a 3-section hamper for my three kids and they each put their dirty clothes in one hamper. Then I wash (now aim teaching them to wash) the laundry, so that when it comes out, they know its all theirs. I have 3 small round laundry baskets for each of them. They put their laundry in there and then THEY go fold/put away. They are young (almost 6 next month) and 8 and so I dont always make them fold. Their dressers end up a mess anyway. But I am working on that. But that is the easiest way to do kids laundry in my opinion. Everything else gets folded and put away as soon as it comes out of the dryer. 😁