Pre-Lit Hanging Holiday Basket

$0

I saw a cute little hanging basket on sale for $69.99. And my first thought was, I can make something like this…for free! And that’s just what I did.

Inspiration

I dug out the hanging planter that I had just recently stored away for winter. There were some water marks on the bottom – which didn’t look very festive – so I fixed that with a quick spray of black paint.

Hanging planter

Then I dragged our freestanding plant holder up onto the porch and hung the planter on it.

Freestanding hanger

I was planning to use a pre-lit string of garland, but noticed I accidentally cut the lighting wire last year. So I just removed the broken string of lights and used another string I had on hand.

Supplies

I grabbed one end of the garland and the string of lights and wound it around my elbow to hand, sort of like rolling up an extension cord. It was hard to get a good process photo of this step, as I have short arms. LOL

Wrapped around my arm several times

Then I slid the garland and lights off my elbow and placed the ball into the plant holder. I spread out the garland until I liked the shape.

Instead of the acorns from my inspiration shot, I decided to use a little dollar store bird and silver flower to jazz it up. They have alligator clips that easily attached to the branches.

Just look at that face!

I plugged the lights into the garland that was behind it, on our railing. It was conveniently located directly behind the planter!  

This project was so quick and easy! And I think it's a really cute addition to our front porch. Hopefully you're inspired to pull your summer planter back out of storage too! :)

30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!

• Lois

How long is the garland that you used? Love your idea! I'd like to do this in some railing planter boxes I have on my front porch.

• Valerie Burge

I think it was roughly 7 feet long.

Good luck with your project - sounds awesome!

• Mamma

How did you run the cord for the lights to be plugged in?

• Valerie Burge

The pre-lit garland that is on the railing directly behind it is actually two garlands, plugged together in the middle. And the middle is right behind the planter. So I just plugged it into those. My original plan was to wrap an extension cord around the freestanding holder, but once I realized there was a plug so conveniently placed I didn't need to.