Personalized Upcycled Map Thread Ornaments For The Tree

$1

Have you noticed that most old road maps are printed in festive colours. That is the roads are often printed in red and rural areas in green all on a white background. This makes them perfect for Christmas crafting in the past I have made some wonderful upcycled road map decorations for my home (see here). This time I decided to use the maps to make a unique and personalized map ornament for the tree.

I used old out of date road maps and some cotton reels for this Christmas craft. Old road maps can often be picked up really cheaply at thrift stores but often I get mine from elderly relatives who no longer have need for them. That is because often they are out of date or they now only use sat navs.

To keep with the sewing theme I also raided my sewing supplies for buttons. It's best to use buttons in the festive colours of green and red.

First, measure the center circumference and height of the cotton reels.

Next, cut a strip of map to fit the center piece. To make the ornaments extra special and personalized, pick an area of the road map that has some meaning to you.

Glue the map around the center core of the cotton reel.

Next, get some buttons and tread them onto some jewelry wire. You can use thread but I prefer jewelry wire as it is stronger and easier to thread.

Next, thread the end of the wire through the center of the cotton reel.

Then, add a few more buttons and some red cord to hang it from to finish.

I loved making these map thread ornaments I ended up making a few more as gifts. Using maps of the recipients favourite places.

Last year I made some scroll thread ornaments (see here) with my favourite Christmas song lyrics which proved to be very popular Christmas gifts.

I also added a craft bell to the ornaments to add to their festivity. Check out the blog link at the end for more details.

Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Linda Terrey

I like Your Idea. Looks like they will be fun to make.

• Dellria M.

I am going to try this project I like working with maps. Thank you so much for sharing your idea

• Dellria M.

I like the old maps because of the variation of colors and so does my three year old granddaughter she is some what an old soul like me.