Asked on Dec 4, 2019

How can I make a desktop for a DIY desk?

Kathy Gunter LawVimarhonorGk
+4

Good morning. I have two drawer file cabinets that I am using as the base for a desk but I can't decide what to use as desk top, plexiglass or wood? Also I like wood but it's too cold to paint or stain where I live. Any suggestions. Thanks.

• Scarlet Paolicchi

An old door would work too. I would take a trip to the thrift store and see what they have that you could repurpose.

• Tami Sark

Get a pre-made laminate shelf.

• Tami Sark

or...if you want it larger, get an old door.

• Rymea

You can stain or paint indoors. Get low or zero VOC paint. Just cover the floor and use something like plastic cups to elevate the piece.

• Gk

You can buy a piece of butcherblock counter top at a local home improvement store like Menards. They usually stock different sizes. You could use a water based poly to seal it. A water based poly really doesn't smell as much as an oil based poly so you could do it inside the house. You could also seal the butcherblock with a butcherblock oil/conditioner. If you do that I would give it a few days to soak in so any papers you put on top of it don't absorb the oil from the butcherblock. I think the poly finish would hold up better for your use as a desktop.

• Vimarhonor

Hollow core doors are pretty inexpensive. Fairly smooth, it could get its final finish when weather us more inviting.

• Kathy Gunter Law

Get a piece of countertop cut to the size you need. It's finished and you can probably pick one up pretty cheap. I did that for my daughter and it held up 100% for 12 years.