DIY Tree Ornaments From Pencil Crayons

$3

It's always fun to find bulk things to repurpose, especially items that can be used to create unique Christmas tree ornaments.

I found this bag of pencil crayons at a local thrift store for $2.

Since this project doesn't take many pencil crayons you don't need to find them in bulk like I did.

The first thing I did was cut some pieces of brown pencil crayons for tree trunks.

For this I used my miter box and saw, and I cut them about 3/4" long.

For my tree ornaments I needed different colored pencil crayons of different lengths and a pencil sharpener.

I used my miter box and saw again to cut the pencil crayons.

I sharpened the pencil crayons to different lengths and started putting my tree ornaments together.

You could make the ends straight cuts if you like, but I think the sharpened ends add more interest.

And you don't have to worry about how messy the cuts are because you're sharpening the ends.

To get the little top ones sharpened down that far I had to hold the pencil crayons with pliers and turn the sharpener rather than turn the pencil crayon.

Once I was happy with my pencil crayon lengths I dulled them a bit on a pad of paper.

Some of the tips were super sharp, and I wanted to make sure they were safe to touch.

I hot glued two pieces of the brown pencil crayon onto the bottom of a popsicle stick for the tree trunk.

Then I hot glued my color pencil crayons on to create the tree shape.

When these were done I ran hot glue up both sides of the sticks to make the whole thing nice and stable, and I cut off the tops the sticks with scissors to add my tree toppers.

For tree toppers I used 3 vintage plastic star-shaped Christmas tree light reflectors.

I hot glued them onto the top pencil crayon and glued faux pearls inside.

I hot glued some jute twine to the wooden sticks at the back, and my ornaments are ready to hang.

This was a fun and easy project, and since I already had everything I needed and most of it was found at thrift stores I'm guesstimating my cost at $2 to $3.

For more pics and tips check out my DIY Tree Ornaments from Pencil Crayons post on my blog here.

Color Me Thrifty

• Dianab

the cost of $2 to $3 was for how many trees. Cute idea, now I'm looking for bags of coloured pencils.

• Color Me Thrifty

My cost of $3 was for all 3 ornaments. I found the whole bag of pencil crayons for just $2, so what I used didn't cost much at all. The rest of the things I used I already had in my stashes, but I did add in a guesstimate for their cost which again wasn't much.

Yesterday

How about using scraps of dowel rod for the limbs paint with craft or acrylic.

• Color Me Thrifty
      13 minutes ago

That's could certainly be an alternative if you can't find enough pencil crayons, or don't want to use them. Great idea!