30's Liquor Cabinet Ready to Shine Again

$50
Advanced

I found this Liquor cabinet on Facebook marketplace and was super excited to start working on it! it didn't look like much but I knew it had lots of potential. I had picked it up at a mobile home park in Houston. When I saw that it was made in London I wondered how it got to Houston. That is a beauty of working with vintage furniture and the beauty of owning them is that it tells a story. I imagined this piece has seen many lavish parties and my goal was to make it look as posh as possible so it can be a star of the party once again!

here she is!

I started off with sanding the doors! For this I used an electric circle sander. I could tell it has beautiful wood grain so I wanted to expose those on the doors. i started with 120 sandpaper then 180 then 220.

I decided that the accent color was going to be black and gold! kind of Artdeco/ Great Gatsby vibe, so I painted the sides and some of the front with black latex paint

frog tape design

Once the black paint dried, I used frogtape to mark my design, I was going to paint with gold! I also went ahead and did a gold design on the wood front doors!

danish teak oil

to seal it and make the wood grain (and gold paint) pop I applied 3 coats of Danish teak oil (follow instructions on the container on drying time in between coats) I also applied Danish teak oil on the inside of the cabinet and inside of the doors. It really gave the old finish a new shine and saved me time because I didn't have to refinish the inside.

Once everything was sealed and reassembled. It was time to fill it up with glasses and liquor.

I really love how it turned out and hope that it will shine at parties for another 100 years! if you like this transformation follow me on Instagram @andreapalmai where you can find more of my pieces.

• Heje

Did you install the lights and mirrors? It makes the piece even more distinctive.

• Mary McDonald

I absolutely love Art Deco! It’s beautiful!

• Helen

I need to stain my dining table and chairs how can I do this

• Andrea Palmai

You would need to sand them down first then apply the stain then seal it with either shellac polyurethane or policrylic clear coat