How to DIY: Frame a Wall-Mounted Bathroom Mirror With Clips

$20

Those darn clips get in the way of creating a nice framed mirror -- no longer!

So our master bath, it's a long story. The shower was leaking, I had to tear it out. But. Knowing what I was going to install in its place was going to be far nicer than what it was before, I knew the rest of the room was going to be a fail.

All of this you can come catch up on over on my blog, Flipping the Flip, by the way. It's always entertaining!

But above is the mirror I installed several years ago. It's a large one and it has those clips which never really bothered me. Seeing as the bathroom is going to ramp up in style, it was time the mirror did too.

First I made a plan. Measure measure measure everything super accurately. You don't need a fancy computer program to draw up your plan or note it, just a piece of paper is fine. My math sucks lately so I used the computer.

Make sure the frame will be smaller than the mirror itself so that the clips are covered, but wide enough to hang on the wall. Math!

Next I bought 2 sticks of 1x4 by 8 foot long cedar. The cedar had a rough hewn side which is what I wanted, a textural element.

Our bathroom is headed in a modern direction but this could easily be farmhouse or country; the texture works with all three styles.

I cut the pieces to size with my miter saw being mindful of which way the angles were being cut.

I had picked up a generic-ish pocket hole jig kit and finally learned to use it. You can come see my many errors over on the blog as well as the right way to set it.

One of the best corners I've ever assembled! Woo hoo! I was so excited!

Now, I used a palm router here to dig out the holes for the mirror clips. Just the same, you can use a rotary tool or a screw gun with a drill bit or a chisel by hand.

Lastly I measured out for some keyhole brackets which make hanging things in face-fastener free way super easy.

It was a comedy of errors again here for a moment but as you can see I got the frame up on the wall and it made a big difference. I was very proud of this big little accomplishment!

The clips are well hidden behind the frame, you can't even tell they're there! Super easy, about $20 or so for wood and supplies, and your room decor rockets to fab!

Be sure to follow me here on Hometalk and click the link to come by the blog for more on this and all sorts of other great projects!

Becky at Flipping the Flip